Amazing Blower-GPU Cooling Setup - Tip

arch_linuxos

So I "impulse" bought the 1070 FE on launch day (I was just impatient, it wasn't necessarily impulse though, thus the quotation marks). As you probably know, the blower fan doesn't work quite as open-air coolers in a mid-tower with decent airflow. Thus, my temps hovered around 79C under load (overclocked). 

But then I had the genius (I'm humble) idea to put a fan blowing directly into the GPU! I got a static pressure fan since I really want it blowing the air in as small an area as possible, directly at the GPU's blower fan. Don't worry, there's a dust filter on the bottom of the case (and sorry for bad picture quality). As a plus, the Fractal HP-12 is almost silent, too.

With this setup, my temperatures lowered 12-13C. After running Unigine Valley for an hour on highest settings, temperatures did not once rise above 67C. I sadly do not have photo evidence of this, but you'll just have to trust me (there's really no reason for me to lie, I'm not that starved for attention).

So, if you have a FE/reference card and a place you can safely put the fan in the bottom of the case, I would HIGHLY recommend doing so. You'll see about 15% lower temperatures than before and your rig will run more quietly since you can tone down the blower fan speed. :)

IMG_20160710_101151.jpg

IMG_20160710_101210.jpg

EDIT: Please don't hate on the cable management, I've improved it since I took these pictures. Was waiting for some custom stuff to come in before I really organized it all.

Edited by arch_linuxos
hater repellent

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

7 minutes ago, arch_linuxos said:

-snip-

great idea. it does depend 90% on ur room temps though, and is an old trick. but you seem happy about it, so kudos! xD

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

1 minute ago, Tech Lover said:

great idea. it does depend 90% on ur room temps though, and is an old trick. but you seem happy about it, so kudos! xD

Guess I should've realized I wasn't the first to think of it xD. My room temps are around 73F (lots of AC, live in Texas).

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Wow I wouldn't have thought you'd get that much drop in temps!  Great idea.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

yeah thats what I did with my 980ti and it dropped like 5 degrees but it was s much hotter card. also just so you know the stock fan curves aren't very agressive and if you turn them up it'll easily drop the temps even lower.

1 minute ago, Beeeyeee said:

yeah thats what I did with my 980ti and it dropped like 5 degrees but it was s much hotter card. also just so you know the stock fan curves aren't very agressive and if you turn them up it'll easily drop the temps even lower.

Thanks for the tip. I've set up the fan curve custom; don't have it going full because I do appreciate less noise, but more than it would normally at ~70C.

I mean, sure FE have bad cooling potential - but they still seem to be the best OC'ers. No need to sell yourself short on it. Especially with temps in check.