H60 and I5 2500K high temps?

My old Antec AIO finaly gave out on me and I purchased a corsair H60 from a friend who upgraded to a H100i, I put on the cooler and quickly noticed that I was pushing temps of 66 Celsius at idle and around 85 at full load, some quick googling lead me to the conclusion that I had applied the paste wrong, I removed the paste re-applied after looking at some more guides and i'm sure that there is ample paste and I screwed the CPU plate a bit tighter but there was only a slight difference and I was still pushing 58 degrees at idle, 61-62 with a few chrome tabs open and about the same at load, I added an extra fan to the rad and still saw minuscule difference. That brings me to the thermal paste, the paste I used was cheapo nexxtech heat sink compound stuff because it was the only thing I could get in my town because i'm kinda out in the boonies, I've ordered some Arctic silver 5 from amazon and I'm hoping this will bring the temps down. I can feel the pump working so i'm pretty sure the cooler is not the problem. I'm fairly sure the paste is the problem is the paste but I would like a second opinion. thanks     

my H60 sucked too. It was air bound for one ( try tipping machine in different directions to move blockage ). I also mount mine with the hoses down, not up. and I installed a push/pull config with two fans.

11 minutes ago, LabRat said:

my H60 sucked too. It was air bound for one ( try tipping machine in different directions to move blockage ). I also mount mine with the hoses down, not up. and I installed a push/pull config with two fans.

Thanks, when the new paste gets here I will try the different mounting direction and see if that helps.

7 minutes ago, ChrisfromNL said:

Thanks, when the new paste gets here I will try the different mounting direction and see if that helps.

Honestly just get a Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig air cooler. The 120mm AIOs are as good or worse than an air cooler 1/2 their price (well when you don't get them free :p) and just add way too many points of failure.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

4 minutes ago, Moress said:

Honestly just get a Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig air cooler. The 120mm AIOs are as good or worse than an air cooler 1/2 their price (well when you don't get them free :p) and just add way too many points of failure.

You think that's the best idea? my friend said that he would be willing to take the cooler back if it's not working for me.

10 hours ago, ChrisfromNL said:

You think that's the best idea? my friend said that he would be willing to take the cooler back if it's not working for me.

Yes actually. I had this exact problem for a few weeks and finally gave up and got an air cooler, never looked back.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

are you too lazy to turn the radiator the other way and too lazy to move the case around to remove an air blockage................. and another question, did you try hooking the pump to a fan header instead of the cpu header so the pump runs at a faster constant rate?

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

are you too lazy to turn the radiator the other way and too lazy to move the case around to remove an air blockage................. and another question, did you try hooking the pump to a fan header instead of the cpu header so the pump runs at a faster constant rate?

I moved my case around and the rad as well for about 10 min with no change in temps and that's how it's plugged in now it's running at around 4600 rpm. My friend said he'd take back the H60 and I orderd the 212 earlier today. Thanks though.