Many open sessions

firestronk
Go to solution Solved by InVis,

It very well be, yes :)

A rule of thumb is that an average user will use between 20 and 200 sessions at all time now a days with all the telemetry data being sent to software developers.

Basically whenever you open a website with adds, your browser is requesting resources from a lot of different add-networks and servers and thereby opening sessions, which should be closed automatically, but can sometimes remain open for a little while and when a new add is displayed, it will do the same again.

So if one of the devices has 5-10 tabs open in Chrome etc, a lot of adds will be requested and a lot of sessions opened.

And that is just internet browsing.

Then we have: Steam, Skype, Battlenet, Origin, Microsoft Windows etc all collecting data and communicating with their servers to ensure that you are online, connected and ready all the time..

If you want to kill some processes, kill some applications.

If you want to know what is using your internet, Barnacules Nerdgasm  did a video on an application called GlassWire, which will monitor what your computer do and traceroute it so you can see where your data is going and which applications are communicating.

I have noticed today that my internet is very slow. I checked the gateway utilization in the router control panel and it shows me having 56 sessions open while it also shows another device on my network as having 147 sessions open. Theres also another device with 74 open sessions. Is that normal?

It very well be, yes :)

A rule of thumb is that an average user will use between 20 and 200 sessions at all time now a days with all the telemetry data being sent to software developers.

Basically whenever you open a website with adds, your browser is requesting resources from a lot of different add-networks and servers and thereby opening sessions, which should be closed automatically, but can sometimes remain open for a little while and when a new add is displayed, it will do the same again.

So if one of the devices has 5-10 tabs open in Chrome etc, a lot of adds will be requested and a lot of sessions opened.

And that is just internet browsing.

Then we have: Steam, Skype, Battlenet, Origin, Microsoft Windows etc all collecting data and communicating with their servers to ensure that you are online, connected and ready all the time..

If you want to kill some processes, kill some applications.

If you want to know what is using your internet, Barnacules Nerdgasm  did a video on an application called GlassWire, which will monitor what your computer do and traceroute it so you can see where your data is going and which applications are communicating.