High End Video Editing/ Gaming Build - $8000-$10000 AUD

ryo3000

I am looking to build a PC in the very near future for mainly video editing purposes, but also with gaming as an important factor. I'm 17 and live in Australia, so my budget will be in AUD. My maximum budget for this build is $10000, though I would prefer if it were closer to the $8000 mark. These are the components that I am currently looking to place in my build:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/f9qbXH

There are a few things that I'd like to explain about the components that I have chosen, mainly the large amount of storage and the use of a 980ti. The reason I have opted for a 980ti over a single, or multiple 1080's is that I am holding off for the upcoming Titan card, or the 1080ti. When those products come out, I intend to fully water cool the system. But in the mean time, I still need this build to be assembled and running in the next four weeks, due to an editing project at school that begins at that time. Along with this build, I am planning to upgrade my current Canon EOS 600d to a Panasonic GH4, with the intent of working with 4k footage; hence the high end nature of the build. As far as the HDD's and SSD's go, I wanted 6tb of storage for video files and other general media such as games, but wanted there to be a level of safety involved. So I decided to opt for RAID 10, as I feel that RAID 1 is too much of a waste, especially when I was going to use four drives anyway. Then with my boot drive, I am more concerned with performance than absolute safety, so am using two 500gb SSD's in RAID 0. But redundancy isn't the same as a backup, so that's what the 8tb and 2tb WD external HDD's are for, used for the HDD's and SSD's respectively. This build will be a massive upgrade to my current PC, which is a prebuilt made by HP from 2009 I believe; running and Intel i7 870 and an ATI Radeon HD 5570. For the purposes of editing 1080p 30fps, or 720p 60fps, or even extremely light gaming, my current PC is painfully slow. As I want to work in 4k, a drastic upgrade is needed. I know that for a first build, this is very expensive; but I know that if I make a lower end build, I will want the higher end performance anyway, and will feel that that current build would have been a waste of money. Any suggestions as far as alterations to the build would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Everything I have read about the 3gb drives would make me want to steer clear. Relatively high failure rates compared to 2 and 4 gb models

Do you mean the 2 and 4gb models of the same product?

For 4k video so wont normal HDD be enough. Heck even SSDs can have trouble keep up, if you edit with more then 1 video on screen at time (multi cam/effects). So you might want to rethink that.

Also, you might want to rethink if you want to focus more on gaming or video editing. As this build is a bit spread on both fronts.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

2 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

For 4k video so wont normal HDD be enough. Heck even SSDs can have trouble keep up, if you edit with more then 1 video on screen at time (multi cam/effects). So you might want to rethink that.

Also, you might want to rethink if you want to focus more on gaming or video editing. As this build is a bit spread on both fronts.

I realise that especially with the monitor, that is very much focused on gaming, so I could definitely change to something more focused on editing on that front. For other things to do with gaming/editing, would you be referring to the graphics card?

5 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

I realise that especially with the monitor, that is very much focused on gaming, so I could definitely change to something more focused on editing on that front. For other things to do with gaming/editing, would you be referring to the graphics card?

I can understand the GPU, as I use gamer cards my self. Quadro dont make sense on "budget".

But things like motherboard and ram, also says gamer.

I mean, for Xeons on the X99 platform, so is the speed of choice 2133. So clearly, ram speed is not that important.

As for motherboards, they just need to have the features you need and enough cooling to handle the up time. I personally would lean toward a workstation oriented motherboard, like Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX or Asus X99-DELUXE II, if you dont want a proper workstation board.

4 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I can understand the GPU, as I use gamer cards my self. Quadro dont make sense on "budget".

But things like motherboard and ram, also says gamer.

I mean, for Xeons on the X99 platform, so is the speed of choice 2133. So clearly, ram speed is not that important.

As for motherboards, they just need to have the features you need and enough cooling to handle the up time. I personally would lean toward a workstation oriented motherboard, like Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX or Asus X99-DELUXE II, if you dont want a proper workstation board.

The originally had planned to go with an Asus X99 Deluxe, but they have since sold out on PCCaseGear, not sure about the Gigabyte board though. The ram is overkill, I think I just put that there as a "because I can" kind of thing, as well as the aesthetic of the ram itself.

6 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

The originally had planned to go with an Asus X99 Deluxe, but they have since sold out on PCCaseGear, not sure about the Gigabyte board though. The ram is overkill, I think I just put that there as a "because I can" kind of thing, as well as the aesthetic of the ram itself.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35778/gigabyte-ga-x99-designare-ex-motherboard

Might be worth looking into.

As for ram, going with 2400 can save you about $100. Meaning the motherboard is just $89 more expensive overall.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35778/gigabyte-ga-x99-designare-ex-motherboard

Might be worth looking into.

As for ram, going with 2400 can save you about $100. Meaning the motherboard is just $89 more expensive overall.

Okay, that makes sense. If the HDD's won't be good enough for actively working with 4k footage, then would you recommend going with large capacity SSD's? Because that's going to get very expensive, very quickly. Especially if I was to be looking at RAID with them.

9 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

Okay, that makes sense. If the HDD's won't be good enough for actively working with 4k footage, then would you recommend going with large capacity SSD's? Because that's going to get very expensive, very quickly. Especially if I was to be looking at RAID with them.

Get an SSD as OS and program disk, then get a separate SSD for video work.

Or in other words, just replace one of the SSDs with this one: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/NYrcCJ/kingston-internal-hard-drive-shss37a480g

Kingston Savage 480GB can handle 416TB written data, meaning it will last a lot longer then most other SSDs. If it turns out to be too slow, get a 2nd one and put them in Raid 0. Just remember to constant back it up, as power loss can render it useless.

Main project files on SSD, rest on HDD. Thats the way I do it.

3 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Get an SSD as OS and program disk, then get a separate SSD for video work.

Or in other words, just replace one of the SSDs with this one: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/NYrcCJ/kingston-internal-hard-drive-shss37a480g

Kingston Savage 480GB can handle 416TB written data, meaning it will last a lot longer then most other SSDs. If it turns out to be too slow, get a 2nd one and put them in Raid 0. Just remember to constant back it up, as power loss can render it useless.

Mail project files on SSD, rest on HDD. Thats the way I do it.

So, keep everything how it is for the HDD's, just have an ssd dedicated for video work, and offload the footage onto the HDD once it is finished, where everything else will be. Then of course keeping the constant backups going. That sound about right?

9 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

So, keep everything how it is for the HDD's, just have an ssd dedicated for video work, and offload the footage onto the HDD once it is finished, where everything else will be. Then of course keeping the constant backups going. That sound about right?

Yeah. Sounds about right.

If you do a lot of video work, so might it be worth getting another SSD as well, to use as a cache drive. It will help to deal with data flow, to prevent 1 SSD from doing everything.

Yeah. Sounds about right.

If you do a lot of video work, so might it be worth getting another SSD as well, to use as a cache drive. It will help to deal with bottlenecks on longer projects.

Would the cache drive need to be particularly large?

Would the cache drive need to be particularly large?

Not really, but I recommend half the size of the SSD you are storing the projects on, just to give your self some work space.

Not really, but I recommend half the size of the SSD you are storing the projects on, just to give your self some work space.

Sounds good, that's storage worked out, as well as motherboard and ram. Would I really need to change the monitor?

Sounds good, that's storage worked out, as well as motherboard and ram. Would I really need to change the monitor?

You dont need to. Its just a bit too much for a video editing pc. But if you game on it as well, then its not a bad choice.

1 minute ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

You dont need to. Its just a bit too much for a video editing pc. But if you game on it as well, then its not a bad choice.

I do plan to be gaming on it as well, so that's good to know. So all in all, have one or two small SSD's as the boot drive, another one or two SSD's for video work, with a cache SSD for that. Then have as many hard drives as needed for mass storage, all being backed up to I presume separate drives as the best idea, in case of the backup drives failing. Does that sound right?

2 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

I do plan to be gaming on it as well, so that's good to know. So all in all, have one or two small SSD's as the boot drive, another one or two SSD's for video work, with a cache SSD for that. Then have as many hard drives as needed for mass storage, all being backed up to I presume separate drives as the best idea, in case of the backup drives failing. Does that sound right?

Redo the list based on that, so can we talk after.

Will do, I'll be back in a bit.

1 hour ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Okay, so because the price was going up dramatically, I've dropped the usable HDD space down to 4tb, and the boot drive SSD space down to 2 250gb SSD's. Now I've got 3 240gb Kingston SSD's, 2 for the video work, and one for the caching. Only thing I'd be concerned about is whether 480gb would be enough for the video work SSD's.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zFhKBP

5 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

Okay, so because the price was going up dramatically, I've dropped the usable HDD space down to 4tb, and the boot drive SSD space down to 2 250gb SSD's. Now I've got 3 240gb Kingston SSD's, 2 for the video work, and one for the caching. Only thing I'd be concerned about is whether 480gb would be enough for the video work SSD's.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zFhKBP

Didn't realise I hadn't changed the motherboard or ram, so here's the proper version:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Myrmqk

12 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

Didn't realise I hadn't changed the motherboard or ram, so here's the proper version:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Myrmqk

Remember that you can always change storage later on. Its one of the easier upgrades after all.

I'm not sure the wireless adapter is needed, as its built into the motherboard.

Also, if you have a colour scheme, so might you want to recheck it. Since you now got black, red, blue and white in there.

Remember that you can always change storage later on. Its one of the easier upgrades after all.

I'm not sure the wireless adapter is needed, as its built into the motherboard.

Also, if you have a colour scheme, so might you want to recheck it. Since you now got black, red, blue and white in there.

The wireless card was because the other motherboard didn't have one in there, forgot about that. I will recheck the colour scheme, I was originally going to be going with black, red and silver. Don't know how achievable that is. There is a problem with that motherboard and that many drives running in RAID though, as it would need one more sata 6gb/s compatible port to have either the boot drive, or the video work drive in RAID 0.

3 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

The wireless card was because the other motherboard didn't have one in there, forgot about that. I will recheck the colour scheme, I was originally going to be going with black, red and silver. Don't know how achievable that is. There is a problem with that motherboard and that many drives running in RAID though, as it would need one more sata 6gb/s compatible port to have either the boot drive, or the video work drive in RAID 0.

It got 6 that support Raid and 4 that dont, based on the specks.

If that is not enough, so can you add in a raid card: http://www.techbuy.com.au/searchcat/HARD_DISK_CONTROLLERS_SERIAL_ATA_RAID_CONTROLLERS.asp

It got 6 that support Raid and 4 that dont, based on the specks.

If that is not enough, so can you add in a raid card: http://www.techbuy.com.au/searchcat/HARD_DISK_CONTROLLERS_SERIAL_ATA_RAID_CONTROLLERS.asp

I feel like that's going to become too expensive, I can just have the system drive run on a single SSD instead of on two in RAID 0, that'll solve that problem.