New Build - Planning Stages Need some help

Anakso

Need a general purpose build that will be used for a bit of everything really, VR, 4K Gaming, 3D Modeling etc, no specific budget planned, I won't be buying it for a few months so have time to save but don't want to break the bank too much here. I have some idea for some of the parts but for others there are too many options and I'm not sure what to pick. I'd like to avoid water cooling and SLI, just more hassle than I'm willing to deal with.

Anyway here is what I've got so far

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 
CPU Cooler: ???
Motherboard: ??? This one is the most confusing to pick, there seems to be so many with vastly differing prices.

GPU: GTX 1070 
Memory: 16GB or 32GB of DDR4.
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB SSD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Case: Corsair Carbide 600C Inverse ATX Full Tower Case (Though might change this, was just one I came across that looks nice without being too pricey)

Power Supply: Also not sure, looking at the Corsair RM750x Modular 80 Plus Gold

That's what I've got so far, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also as I'm not buying this for a few months are there any releases incoming that I should look out for?

For the CPU cooler i would chose a Corsair H60 for $50 and something like a Asus Z170-E for $80 , if you want a normal build and not a inverted one go for a Corsair 400c other than that a pretty good build also 750W is overkill get a 650W g2

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Ah thanks, I wasn't sure what watts to go with, I just knew 1000W was overkill so went for one a bit below that but 650W it is then.

As for the motherboard, is the Z170-E a shortened version of the Z170-Extreme? I'm in Australia so my pricing is a bit different, the Z170-Extreme ranges from $225-$359 depending on if it's extreme4, 6+ or 7+

This is the site I'm using:

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/138_1780/motherboards/intel-socket-1151

15 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

For the CPU cooler i would chose a Corsair H60 for $50 and something like a Asus Z170-E for $80 , if you want a normal build and not a inverted one go for a Corsair 400c other than that a pretty good build also 750W is overkill get a 650W g2

120mm water coolers aren't really that great. A Cryorig H5 Ultimate would be better. 

I would Highly recommend that you use some kind of ddr3 ram over ddr4 ram as it is much cheaper then ddr4 and is pretty much the same speeds as seen in this video comparison done by Linus (keep in mind this is over a year old)

For your CPU cooler i would recommend one of corsairs closed loop water coolers as they are the most reliable and simple water coolers currently on the market. I would recommend the h80i or the h100i depending on if you want to over clock

And finally with the PSU are you sure you need a modular psu if you wanted cleanness you could get custom sleeved cables or go semi modular (just a tip to save some $$)\

Also Great GPU i am having great experience with mine, Have you though of which version you want? like do you want the founders edition or a after market model?

CEO of Infinity Creations

No current PC but on the WAY!

2 minutes ago, CaptainBlue01 said:

I would Highly recommend that you use some kind of ddr3 ram over ddr4 ram as it is much cheaper then ddr4 and is pretty much the same speeds as seen in this video comparison done by Linus (keep in mind this is over a year old)

For your CPU cooler i would recommend one of corsairs closed loop water coolers as they are the most reliable and simple water coolers currently on the market. I would recommend the h80i or the h100i depending on if you want to over clock

And finally with the PSU are you sure you need a modular psu if you wanted cleanness you could get custom sleeved cables or go semi modular (just a tip to save some $$)\

Also Great GPU i am having great experience with mine, Have you though of which version you want? like do you want the founders edition or a after market model?

That video is getting old and DDR4 RAM is pretty much the same price as DDR3. Games are also starting to benefit from faster RAM. Skylake also doesn't support anything else than DDR4 and DDR3L memory. 

3 minutes ago, CaptainBlue01 said:

I would Highly recommend that you use some kind of ddr3 ram over ddr4 ram as it is much cheaper then ddr4.

Video is outdated. DDR4 RAM is about the same price (and in some cases cheaper) as DDR3.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, CaptainBlue01 said:

I haven't decided which one yet but I'll probably be going with an after market model.

11 minutes ago, Anakso said:

Ah thanks, I wasn't sure what watts to go with, I just knew 1000W was overkill so went for one a bit below that but 650W it is then.

As for the motherboard, is the Z170-E a shortened version of the Z170-Extreme? I'm in Australia so my pricing is a bit different, the Z170-Extreme ranges from $225-$359 depending on if it's extreme4, 6+ or 7+

This is the site I'm using:

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/138_1780/motherboards/intel-socket-1151

the Z170-E is not from the extreme family

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

That video is getting old and DDR4 RAM is pretty much the same price as DDR3. Games are also starting to benefit from faster RAM. Skylake also doesn't support anything else than DDR4 and DDR3L memory. 

That's a good point it was just a suggestion as i was looking into this a month or so ago and it seems ddr4 was just not worth it yet

CEO of Infinity Creations

No current PC but on the WAY!

4 minutes ago, Anakso said:

I haven't decided which one yet but I'll probably be going with an after market model.

the Z170-E is not even on the page...i suggest this one https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33306/asus-z170-p-motherboard since its the cheapest ATX Z170 board

Yea since you have a large enough budget and can overclock that CPU to its real potential

Maybe something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($479.00 @ Umart) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($239.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($104.98 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($779.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.00 @ Umart) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($165.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $2241.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-10 22:51 AEST+1000

When you go with a 6700K you need a Z170 board for overclocking.

The CPU cooler is as good as a 240mm AiO cooler and cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Anakso said:

Ah thanks. So Z170 is the chipset to go with in general?

Yes 

6 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

Maybe something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($479.00 @ Umart) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($239.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($104.98 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($779.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.00 @ Umart) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($165.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $2241.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-10 22:51 AEST+1000

When you go with a 6700K you need a Z170 board for overclocking.

The CPU cooler is as good as a 240mm AiO cooler and cheaper.

Ah thanks!

One more question, if I choose to go 32GB (which may be overkill but 16GB was overkill when I bought my current build 6 years ago and now I kind of wish I had 16GB) is it better to go with 4x 8GB or 2x 16GB or doesn't really matter? Though I'm not sure on 32 or 16 yet and might just go with 16 to keep cost down a bit. anyway.

2 minutes ago, Anakso said:

Ah thanks!

One more question, if I choose to go 32GB (which may be overkill but 16GB was overkill when I bought my current build 6 years ago and now I kind of wish I had 16GB) is it better to go with 4x 8GB or 2x 16GB or doesn't really matter? Though I'm not sure on 32 or 16 yet and might just go with 16 to keep cost down a bit. anyway.

With 32GB you should go with 4x8 unless you want to have the option to upgrade to 64GB in a few years, though I can't imagine why. Otherwise, if you're not sure you can go for the 2x8 now and get 2x8 OF THE EXACT SAME RAM in a few years to go to 32GB total.

4 minutes ago, Anakso said:

Ah thanks!

And note that the build I made is black/white themed. If you don't like this you can switch out a few parts, though it will almost always have some black in it.

Ah okay 2x8 right now seems like the way to go in that case then, thanks for the help!