Intel/nvidia budget build

I'm planning for my first custom pc build which will probably be around the end of 2016. My budget excluding pheripherals is around $650 USD. I am also not interested in amd builds. This pc will be for editing and gaming. The parts i am planning to purchase online. It only needs to drive one monitor as i don't have a ton of space on the desk. Apps i use are adobe premiere, illustrator, photoshop, after effect, encoder, sketch up and some games which i will be playing and editing in 1080p. I also don't mind sometimes lowering the settings in games as i am very used to low settings and frame rates. However i cannot stand how choppy editing is as i do some video editing for the school and its really a pain to use premiere on a dual core cpu with 4 gbs of ram. 

Parts I've chosen(pls comment, i am open to suggestions):

Core i5 6500(skylake)

ASUS h110m-k d3

8gb vengeance 

ASUS strix gtx 960 2gb

1tb seagate barracuda 

Tp link pcie wireless adapter 

500watt evga powersupply

Nzxt source 210

I've found most of these parts on eBay(prices on pcpartspicker differ) and they total to about $600+. These parts are not really meant to be future upgradable as i don't plan on upgrading any time soon. 

1.Why go Nvidia if AMD has better performance for the same or lower price?

2.the 960 is outdated and not worth it

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Sounds good but just a bit curious cuz you said your gonna be video editing however you only have a 1tb hard drive. Idk if its just me but if your working with raw footage of high resolutions you might run out of space with cuz I assume you will also have games on the same drive. Otherwise doesn't look too bad for that price xD

Like if you liked it. Share it if you thought it was great. Leave a reply if you emotions are a bit more complicated   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Pretty true. By the end of the year you could have a Nvidia 1060 or an AMD RX 480 really cheap pre-owned 

Like if you liked it. Share it if you thought it was great. Leave a reply if you emotions are a bit more complicated   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless CUDA works much better than OpenCL on those editing applications (even then, are you using GPU acceleration?), there's no reason to get a GTX 960 when the RX 480 is in the same price range. Another question - what specific EVGA PSU?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, InitializingDev said:

Pretty true. By the end of the year you could have a Nvidia 1060 or an AMD RX 480 really cheap pre-owned 

Yea

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

4 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Thanks. I am aware that amd is more powerful at a budget but as i mentioned, i do not want an amd system for reasons i myself do not know

5 minutes ago, InitializingDev said:

Sounds good but just a bit curious cuz you said your gonna be video editing however you only have a 1tb hard drive. Idk if its just me but if your working with raw footage of high resolutions you might run out of space with cuz I assume you will also have games on the same drive. Otherwise doesn't look too bad for that price xD

I am only editing at 1080p and those videos are going back to the ppl i edit for so not an issue. 

2 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

Thanks. I am aware that amd is more powerful at a budget but as i mentioned, i do not want an amd system for reasons i myself do not know

I know how you feel about the AMD cpus but the GPUs are really good for the price

7 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Is the 960 that bad? It's pretty cheap considering the strix is $160 and a 1060 is $249

4 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

What sort of reasoning is that? AMD CPUs are admittedly crappy for the most part but their GPUs are rock solid. Buying by brand is stupid.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Unless CUDA works much better than OpenCL on those editing applications (even then, are you using GPU acceleration?), there's no reason to get a GTX 960 when the RX 480 is in the same price range. Another question - what specific EVGA PSU?

I prefer the features that come with nvidias cards like shadow play and gsync. Not interested in amd cards

1 minute ago, joshua_lotion said:

I prefer the features that come with nvidias cards like shadow play and gsync. Not interested in amd cards

Oh I'm not so concerned about the psu yet so I'm not that sure 

1 minute ago, joshua_lotion said:

Do you have a GSync capable monitor

4 minutes ago, CookieTheLabrador said:

I know how you feel about the AMD cpus but the GPUs are really good for the price

3 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

Is the 960 that bad? It's pretty cheap considering the strix is $160 and a 1060 is $249

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

What sort of reasoning is that? AMD CPUs are admittedly crappy for the most part but their GPUs are rock solid. Buying by brand is stupid.

Go with Nvidia,remember Keplar is gone Maxwell is next....

You pay more for G-Sync ($200-300 more) when Freesync does the exact same thing. OBS works fine as a Shadowplay alternative.

Spoiler

AMD Has screen recording and has AMD Freesync.

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

You pay more for G-Sync ($200-300 more) when Freesync does the exact same thing. OBS works fine as a Shadowplay alternative.

I tried OBS the files i recorded where HUGE for some reason,never looked into it but i started using Shadowplay and its REALLY REALLY good

2 minutes ago, CookieTheLabrador said:

Do you have a GSync capable monitor

I haven't bought any pheripharals yet but ultimately if i go nvidia i will probably get one 

2 minutes ago, InitializingDev said:

AMD Has screen recording and has AMD Freesync.

AMD Recording = GVR

I haven't bought any pheripharals yet but ultimately if i go nvidia i will probably get one 

Sorry I just really don't understand your reasons but its your choice. The only thing I will say is do a bit more research because AMD has a lot of the features you are wanting at a much lower price and more performance 

3 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

It would be a "waste of money" (with me) to get a free sync monitor

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You are completely correct but i live in a community of non tech savvy ppl and to the world amd =bad and nvdia=good. It's just like purchasing a designer item. It looks good on your desk and ppl think it's higher class. Sry if i offend any of you with this irrational thinking 

You are completely correct but i live in a community of non tech savvy ppl and to the world amd =bad and nvdia=good. It's just like purchasing a designer item. It looks good on your desk and ppl think it's higher class. Sry if i offend any of you with this irrational thinking 

Ah, crowd mentality... So you buy by brand even though it's the worse choice? Ignore them and be smart with your money.

What's the cheapest G-Sync monitor where you live? Compare that with a FreeSync monitor with similar specs that'll do the exact same thing and see how big the price difference is.

Spoiler

Thats like the whole iPhone argument all over again :/