Microphone for Streaming

_Hiro_

So me and some of my friends are going to be streaming Super Smash Bros for the Wii U and we already have the PC parts picked. Now the problem is audio. We have around 100 dollars to spend on a good streaming microphone and possibly an amplifier. Any ideas?

Another quick question, does a microphone amplifier with an XLR input and output supply power to the microphone with an input cable?

You have 2 good options

1. AT2020 (Get in USB unless you have an audio interface that supports XLR) - $83 http://amzn.to/29TJkou Pros: Great quality for price. Cheaper. Options for Cheap shock mount & Boom Arm

2. Blue Yeti(Picks up a lot more sound but has fantastic quality) - -$125 http://amzn.to/29TJxrA Pros: A little better quality then the at2020. Cons - If you use boom arm or shock mount your options are very limited. Theres only 2 shock mounts that fit the yeti. 1. The Blue Radius. (http://bhpho.to/29CYRtR) Or 2. A 3rd party spider one.(http://ebay.to/29z3fvl) Both are around $50. A shock mount you can use the PSA1 which works good with it but its $100 but I've been itching to order the NEEWER boom arm and test it with my yeti. some reviews say it works, some say its too heavy. Its only $15 so its worth a shot.

Unless you want the top quality of audio and have money to spend then sure go with the yeti. But TONS of youtubers  use the AT2020. If I could go back in time I would've gotten the 2020 instead of the yeti.

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

2 hours ago, _Hiro_ said:

Another quick question, does a microphone amplifier with an XLR input and output supply power to the microphone with an input cable?

XLR is an electrical connecter  alone but with an amp, most you have to plug in via usb.

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

Okay, thanks for the recommendations! I'll put the cheaper options (budget sucks) on the part list.

32 minutes ago, iNoa97 said:

You have 2 good options

1. AT2020 (Get in USB unless you have an audio interface that supports XLR) - $83 http://amzn.to/29TJkou Pros: Great quality for price. Cheaper. Options for Cheap shock mount & Boom Arm

2. Blue Yeti(Picks up a lot more sound but has fantastic quality) - -$125 http://amzn.to/29TJxrA Pros: A little better quality then the at2020. Cons - If you use boom arm or shock mount your options are very limited. Theres only 2 shock mounts that fit the yeti. 1. The Blue Radius. (http://bhpho.to/29CYRtR) Or 2. A 3rd party spider one.(http://ebay.to/29z3fvl) Both are around $50. A shock mount you can use the PSA1 which works good with it but its $100 but I've been itching to order the NEEWER boom arm and test it with my yeti. some reviews say it works, some say its too heavy. Its only $15 so its worth a shot.

Unless you want the top quality of audio and have money to spend then sure go with the yeti. But TONS of youtubers  use the AT2020. If I could go back in time I would've gotten the 2020 instead of the yeti.

37 minutes ago, _Hiro_ said:

Having owned both of these mics either one works. They both have a similar sound signature. I like the yeti due to the higher build quality and features. It has a very stable base as it is so you won't have to worry about it sliding around. My favorite is if you don't own an audio interface you can plug your headphones directly into the microphone to monitor the audio in real time. It has physical knobs and buttons that the at 2020 does not. This includes a gain knob and a knob to change the various recording modes. For you it should be set to it cardioid. It also has a live mute button that is very useful if you would like to not have to mute it through the actually system. It also includes a volume knob which i use extensively. They are both USB condenser microphones. But if you are on a budget then go with the at 2020.  

1 hour ago, spiralfuzion said:

Having owned both of these mics either one works. They both have a similar sound signature. I like the yeti due to the higher build quality and features. It has a very stable base as it is so you won't have to worry about it sliding around. My favorite is if you don't own an audio interface you can plug your headphones directly into the microphone to monitor the audio in real time. It has physical knobs and buttons that the at 2020 does not. This includes a gain knob and a knob to change the various recording modes. For you it should be set to it cardioid. It also has a live mute button that is very useful if you would like to not have to mute it through the actually system. It also includes a volume knob which i use extensively. They are both USB condenser microphones. But if you are on a budget then go with the at 2020.  

I do like the physical features of the microphone. But I've never been really able to use the gain to its full potential since i'm having fan control issues with them running at max load and my load ass overhead fan.

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

1 minute ago, iNoa97 said:

I do like the physical features of the microphone. But I've never been really able to use the gain to its full potential since i'm having fan control issues with them running at max load and my load ass overhead fan.

I have had that issue as well! I know the feels man.  that's just most microphones at this price range. 

1 hour ago, spiralfuzion said:

I have had that issue as well! I know the feels man.  that's just most microphones at this price range. 

Yup, planning on moving downstairs into a quieter room with some acoustics help down there.

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

43 minutes ago, iNoa97 said:

Yup, planning on moving downstairs into a quieter room with some acoustics help down there.

nice!