Build for a Friend

Hey guys, my friend is planning to build a pc and he picked out the following parts http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRqgLD , would love to hear your guys' opinion :),

Thanks in advance.

P.S I advised him to buy an RX 480 instead of the GTX 960 and an a single 16gb ram stick instead of 2x 8gb, would leave more empty ram slots for future upgrades.

5 minutes ago, THELOU101 said:

Hey guys, my friend is planning to build a pc and he picked out the following parts http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRqgLD , would love to hear your guys' opinion :),

Thanks in advance.

P.S I advised him to buy an RX 480 instead of the GTX 960 and an a single 16gb ram stick instead of 2x 8gb, would leave more empty ram slots for future upgrades.

Is your friend intending to change his cpu to an unlocked one in the future? If not, swap the Z170 motherboard for a H110 one. Only use a Z170 mobo when you have a 'k skew' cpu.

Where are you getting a Corsair CX600 for $91? That's a poor price for a mediocre PSU. In other words, you're overpaying. Get a $50-60 Seasonic unit instead, much higher quality.

If I were you, I'd lower that motherboard to a cheaper H170/B150 and skip on the CPU cooler and invest the saved money into an i5.

The motherboard has four RAM slots. I seriously doubt you'll need to be upgrading to 32GB anytime soon. Just run 16GB in dual channel.

As for GPU, don't get the reference RX 480. Wait for the AIB models to avoid the whole controversy about the power problems.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Most importantly before anything else, what is your friend's budget?

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Where are you getting a Corsair CX600 for $91? That's a poor price for a mediocre PSU. In other words, you're overpaying. Get a $50-60 Seasonic unit instead, much higher quality.

If I were you, I'd lower that motherboard to a cheaper H170/B150 and skip on the CPU cooler and invest the saved money into an i5.

Yeah, for 91$ you could get an EVGA P2.

13 minutes ago, AssassinUni said:

Most importantly before anything else, what is your friend's budget?

He had 700 usd to spend on this system

49 minutes ago, THELOU101 said:

He had 700 usd to spend on this system

Is he using it for gaming only or others? And does he need peripherals or OS?

1 hour ago, AssassinUni said:

Is he using it for gaming only or others? And does he need peripherals or OS?

only for gaming and he doesnt need periferals or an os

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($30.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($56.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card  ($259.99 @ Micro Center) or wait for Rx 480 prices to drop
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $709.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-05 06:55 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

16 minutes ago, THELOU101 said:

only for gaming and he doesnt need periferals or an os

@herman mcpootis's build is decent. However, the GTX 1060 is coming out on 7 July and custom cards should come up a week after the release. If I were you, I would wait for benchmarks on the 1060 before buying a RX 480. If your friend can't wait for that long, then go with the R9 390 or custom RX 480s