New SSD setup and HDD removal, help!

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

1. Reinstalling would result in faster ans more stable OS but roadkil's rawcopy will clone it for you.

2. Sure it'll work. Just keep in mind, our assuring words won't back up your data. It's not like it's foolproof.

3. RAID1 is no backup. It'll provide a degree of protection against HW failure, but it's about the dumbest thing you can do as a single solution. What if it's the mobo that fails? What if theres a virus? What if you delete something by accident? What if there's an electrical shock? WHat if someone steals or damages the PC? If you really want a local-only solution with two drives, a separate PC with a ROBOCOPY script cloning stuff over would be worlds better. I have one running on logout and hourly during logon. I've had my share of problems but zero dataloss.

Hey everyone, it's been a while.

So, I decided to retire my PC and give it to my dad so now I need to install a new SSD in it and remove the HDDs.

So I got 3 questions.

1. I plan on replacing the existing 60GB SSD with a 120GB SSD, but since it has Windows 10 on it I need help cloning the SSD. How do I do it? What software do I use?

2. Since I have internal HDDs, I plan on removing a 1TB WD blue drive which is almost full and has 2 partition and putting it in one of those exteranl HDD enclosures with a small power supply and USB 2.0/3.0 connection. Will the drive just work if I plug it in that case and attach it via USB? I am concerned as it contains A LOT of important data and I don't wanna lose it.

3. I have 2x WD Black 2TB drives and plan on using them in a RAID 1 configuration for redundancy. My dad wants to have a backup of hes data in case 1 HDD fails and this seems like a reasonable solution. Is this a good and safe configuration? I have checked and the motherboard supports RAID 1, so don't worry about that one. :)

Thanks all and kinds regards,

Bogica

1. Reinstalling would result in faster ans more stable OS but roadkil's rawcopy will clone it for you.

2. Sure it'll work. Just keep in mind, our assuring words won't back up your data. It's not like it's foolproof.

3. RAID1 is no backup. It'll provide a degree of protection against HW failure, but it's about the dumbest thing you can do as a single solution. What if it's the mobo that fails? What if theres a virus? What if you delete something by accident? What if there's an electrical shock? WHat if someone steals or damages the PC? If you really want a local-only solution with two drives, a separate PC with a ROBOCOPY script cloning stuff over would be worlds better. I have one running on logout and hourly during logon. I've had my share of problems but zero dataloss.

1 hour ago, Naeaes said:

1. Yes sir, I'll look over my stuff to find that win 10 cd key.

2. Understood, I'll backup the most critical files.

3. I meant it as a HW failure of a drive, we do weekly backups of files, It's nothing that crucial, but it would be a pain in the ass if it were completely lost. All company related data is backed up to 2 external drives so this is meant as a HW failure redundancy. I'll look into the ROBOCOPY script, might come in useful, don't have the resources to run a separate PC doing that right now, but thanks for the idea.

Thanks for answering! :D