Gtx 1070 & 1080, decision going back and forth

Karmek

Hey,

So I am trying to get behind all that marketing stuff and benchmarks at the moment. after reading tons of reviews and trying to understand where the 4K/VR trend is going I too started to think that those are not getting anywhere close to the price segment many can afford (unless you don't care about looks and feature sets).

GTX 1080 is nice and stuff but at 770€ the performance gain is marginal compared to the 1070 at 520€.

When I only see a difference of max. 10 fps at 1440p why would you pay 200 bucks more if it's 60fps on my screen in the end?

Another thing: usually having a custom PCB with better power input provides better OC stability. However, it doesn't matter where I look all cards are easily going to 2000-2100 MHz and won't go beyond regardless how much watts they draw. Again, why would I spend my cash on that if it's hardly better than stock PCB + custom cooler?

At the current generation those 2 just don't make sense to me. Do you have similar opinions or do you know better and wouldn't mind teaching me and filling those gaps?

If your going 1440p 60 fps the 1070 should be fine, and yes there is no need for a custom PCB card due to the limitations being on the chip itself, just get one with a good warranty and cooler for the least amount of money (you might want to wait a little for pricing to level out though)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just grab a palit or evga 1070 and youll be fine

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

If your going 1440p 60 fps the 1070 should be fine, and yes there is no need for a custom PCB card due to the limitations being on the chip itself, just get one with a good warranty and cooler for the least amount of money (you might want to wait a little for pricing to level out though)

I only wait for the next restock to finally grab one. My new rig currently runs on Intel HD.

I originally planned to be ready for 4K/VR but since both are still kinda niche products I will get to 1440p soon and wait for the industry to make it more affordable.

10 minutes ago, -i.nwA_ said:

Just grab a palit or evga 1070 and youll be fine

Never looked at Palit so far. Gonna check those.