Audio interface advice?

ALwin

For the past few days I've been doing a bit of research on audio interfaces.

The desire to get an audio interface comes from the fact that I am increasingly doing more and more non-ENG videos.  Filming some commercials, MVs and other stuff.  So instead of just using the sound card on my MacBook Pro or custom built workstation at home, I'd like something better to monitor audio while editing.

Additionally I need to record voice overs for dubbing and instrumentals for music.

I do have a Zoom F8 field recorder with 8 inputs which can also double as an interface.  But unpacking and repackaging it out of the sound bag is a pain and I'm not the only one using it.  I would prefer to keep the F8 in the bag ready so that at a moments notice myself or a friend who works as a sound guy can pick it up ready to work.

So I have been looking at several interfaces, with the minimum specs:

• at least 8 preamps
  • minimum 8 inputs and outputs
  • ADAT
  • SPDIF or Toslink
  • AES/EBU optional
  • need to connect to some reference monitors
  • In the future we will look into setting up a surround sound editing environment in one of the studios we have access to

I've narrowed my choices to:

• Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 second gen
  • Focusrite Clarett 8 pre 18x20
  • Tascam US 20x20
  • Zoom UAC or TAC 8
  • Motu 896mk3

It's hard to find definitive reviews about the above interfaces.  My supplier recommends the Focusrite interfaces.

Anyone have other recommendations?  Or thoughts about any of the models I've shortlisted?

Budget: max $1000-1500

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

FYI, before any one asks.

I have a nice collection of fantastic mics for voice and instrumentals, along with some good Yamaha monitors, and studio monitoring headphones.

What I don't have is an interface at my office to connect the mics and monitors, aside from the F8 and my video camera.  I just inherited the reference monitors last week from a friend who moved.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

This inquiry might be a little too in-depth for this forum. I've heard mostly good things about Scarlett, but don't have any experience to back that up.

2 hours ago, SSL said:

This inquiry might be a little too in-depth for this forum. I've heard mostly good things about Scarlett, but don't have any experience to back that up.

Yeah I figured as much.  I asked on Gearslutz, emailed B&H techs, called my suppliers, spoke with some friends who works in a recording studio, etc...  Now I have to make a decision between these models:

• Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
  • Focusrite Clarett 8 pre 18x20
  • Zoom UAC or TAC 8

The Clarett and TAC 8 uses thunderbolt to connect, the Scarlett is USB 2.0 and the UAC 8 is USB 3.0.

The Clarett is the most expensive, and perhaps the largest/heaviest of them.  It has better preamps than the Scarlett but costs more or less double the price.

The UAC/TAC 8 and Clarett have very good dynamic range and noise floor.  The UAC/TAC costs less than the Clarett.

The Scarlett and Clarett have level indicators on the panel.

I think I will most likely go with the TAC or UAC.

Oh I know a friend that has the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 second gen and he likes, but the ports on the back is kinda a love hate thing for him, since it helps keeping everything nice and clean, but he hates it when he needs to change a cable.

I hope those companies can help you :) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Oh I know a friend that has the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 second gen and he likes, but the ports on the back is kinda a love hate thing for him, since it helps keeping everything nice and clean, but he hates it when he needs to change a cable.

I don't really mind the location of the ports, more like I want to make sure the product is reliable and reasonably high quality for the price.  I've heard different people having different experiences with the interfaces I've listed.

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

I don't really mind the location of the ports, more like I want to make sure the product is reliable and reasonably high quality for the price.  I've heard different people having different experiences with the interfaces I've listed.

I would take the one with the most stable experiences from people then..

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

25 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I would take the one with the most stable experiences from people then..

Personally I've found Zoom to produce good quality products.  I have several of their recorders.  I've never used Focusrite before, but I hear many musicians ranging from home to pros, use them.

I'm considering:

• Do I want a Thunderbolt device to guarantee low latency, or get a USB one which lets me connect it to both my Macbook and home workstation.  Both the Zoom UAC (USB 3.0) and TAC (Thunderbolt) are priced the same at my supplier's website.
  • Do I need 120db of dynamic range or can I live with 109db (every model except the Scarlett 18i20 have around 120db of dynamic range), the second generation Scarlett has improved preamps for lower noise so all four models should be good in that respect.  
  • Can I live without a front panel level meter, only relying on the DAW software's meters.

I've received replies back from the people I reached out to for advice.

• Supplier says Focusrite, and not really familiar with the Zoom
  • B&H says the Zoom should perform better, at least on paper
  • Musician industry friends say both are good for the price range

20 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Personally I've found Zoom to produce good quality products.  I have several of their recorders.  I've never used Focusrite before, but I hear many musicians ranging from home to pros, use them.

I'm considering:

• Do I want a Thunderbolt device to guarantee low latency, or get a USB one which lets me connect it to both my Macbook and home workstation
  • Do I need 120db of dynamic range or can I live with 109db, the second generation Scarlett has improved preamps for lower noise
  • Can I live without a front panel levels meter, only relying on the DAW software's meters

I've received replies back from the people I reached out to for advice.

• Supplier says Focusrite, and not really familiar with the Zoom
  • B&H says the Zoom should perform better, at least on paper
  • Musician industry friends say both are good for the price range

Damn I wish you the best of luck finding what you should get. :)