Internet Connection To Slow?

z123killer

When I stream from my computer to Chromecast, I get disconnected from time to time and was wondering if it is my internet, my internet connection is 5mbps up and 1 down which is slow but is it the cause of the disconnections? If yes then what is a good speed to stream to Chromecast without interruptions?

I would contact the isp if i were you.

Current PC: "For Now Because I Have A Habit"

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K @4.5Ghz

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Extreme4

RAM: 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3200Mhz DDR4

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 Riing RGB Edition 

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition MSI

Case: Limited Edition Thermaltake View 31 Riing RGB

Power Supply: CoolerMaster V750 Fully Modular

SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB

HDD: 3TB Toshiba 7200RPM

Peripherals:

Monitor: AOC U2868PQU 4K 28" 60HZ

Keyboard: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB Cherry MX Red

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite

Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Speed Extended

Speakers: Creative SBS A250

Headphones: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1

9 minutes ago, z123killer said:

When I stream from my computer to Chromecast, I get disconnected from time to time and was wondering if it is my internet, my internet connection is 5mbps up and 1 down which is slow but is it the cause of the disconnections? If yes then what is a good speed to stream to Chromecast without interruptions?

It is likely to slow. 3Mbps is the minimum recommended for 1080p, so if someone else is doing something else on your network, then you will likely have issues. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

It is likely to slow. 3Mbps is the minimum recommended for 1080p, so if someone else is doing something else on your network, then you will likely have issues. 

We generally have 2 other devices also connected to the network. What do you recommend as a good speed? 

1 minute ago, z123killer said:

We generally have 2 other devices also connected to the network. What do you recommend as a good speed? 

WIth 2 other devices, I would recommend likely 15+mbps if available to ensure there "should" be bandwidth available for all devices. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What? Am I missing something or doesn't media streaming to Chromecast work over LAN? Does the connection really include WAN? I mean, shouldn't it work even if you didn't have an Internet connection at all.

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

What? Am I missing something or doesn't media streaming to Chromecast work over LAN? Does the connection really include WAN? I mean, shouldn't it work even if you didn't have an Internet connection at all.

you still need the internet to get the content from the Chromecast app. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

what are you streaming?  mirroring desktop? locally stored movies/tv ? youtube or other online sources?

1 hour ago, ibom said:

what are you streaming?  mirroring desktop? locally stored movies/tv ? youtube or other online sources?

Live news cast

It's possible that casting to your chromecast in that way is too much for your local network,  regardless of the speed of your Internet connection. You might need to upgrade your wifi AP/router. 

If the newscast stream is playing in the browser on your computer and you're then casting that browser window to your tv,  you're forcing the router to throughput 2-3 times the data of the stream itself or more.  That kind of throughput can crash a cheap wifi router (or the modem/router combo from your isp if that's what you're using.) 

The router receives the Internet stream and passes it to your computer,  then your computer sends a stream/video of your browser back through the router to the chromecast at full 720 or 1080p. 

The native android chromecast apps don't have that problem because the chromecast gets the stream directly,  but when you're mirroring something from computer-to-chromecast on top of downloading, the workload goes way up

On 6/26/2016 at 4:05 AM, Naeaes said:

Native chromecast apps download data directly to chromecast,  but when mirroring devices (which is the only way computers work with chromecast afaik) the computer downloads from WAN then rebroadcasts a full HD stream over LAN to chromecast.  

WAN probably needs to be connected but im pretty sure its the LAN throughput thats too much for OPs router.