Steering Wheel Recommendations?

byalexandr

Do we even have a thread for sim racing at all?

Anyway, for my birthday I was thinking of getting a new racing wheel, as I've been dying to have one for the better part of a couple years now. Time has passed and it seems the Logitech G27 is quite hard to find new and at a decent cost (I should mention I don't want to buy used as I want my wheel to last a long time and you never know what you can get when buying used). So I've moved on and looked at the Logitech G29 and G920. I like them because for a some what cheaper price they come with a full pedal set and the shifter if you pay a little extra. Still more expensive than the G27 used to be but what are ya gonna do.

Well even though it's a bit cheaper than a really nice full Thrustmaster set (full pedals, shifter, the whole nine yards), it's still quite a bit when you factor in the additional shifter cost that I think should come with it anyway. So I was looking at the Thrustmaster T300RS, even though it doesn't have all the features I want (clutch, progressive springs, and shifter) but it's still the bare minimum for what I need. And it makes the wheel a lot easier to be modded, which is also why I like the G27 (less buttons so I could put a custom wheel without too much hassle). But I'm not sure if the later cost of a full pedal set and the $150 shifter is worth it over just spending the money on the G29 now (and I can't really mod the G29 with a custom wheel at all).

I don't know what else to look at, but at a bare minimum I need paddles and gas/brake. I'd love clutch and shifter though, but with the games I play (DiRT Rally) it's more realistic with paddles anyway. And from what I hear the belt driven system and brushless motors and all in the T300RS is fantastic.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long post. :) Thanks!

just go to your local junkyard and pull the steering wheel off a wrecked up mustang 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

just go to your local junkyard and pull the steering wheel off a wrecked up mustang 

you can use that and hook it up to a g27!

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

T300RS imo. 

and.. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

really i wouldn't mind buying a g27 used, because really at this point, i'm super desperate for one and i would buy one regardless of condition. and besides, i can always find mods for that wheel. there's many guides for mods, like steering wheel mods, gear shifter mods, and pedal mods, and hell, you can even wire up an e brake for one.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

T300RS imo. 

and.. 

That's what I was thinking, I know it'll be more expensive in the end but it'll be a lot nicer of a set up.

8 hours ago, terrytek said:

really i wouldn't mind buying a g27 used, because really at this point, i'm super desperate for one and i would buy one regardless of condition. and besides, i can always find mods for that wheel. there's many guides for mods, like steering wheel mods, gear shifter mods, and pedal mods, and hell, you can even wire up an e brake for one.

Well I don't want to, people get really sweaty when they play with a wheel, I know from experience, and the wheel can get all worn out and gross, same with the pedals and shifter. I know the mods are awesome for the G27 but it's just not an option at this point.

I think I'm going to get the T300RS by itself for now (with the stock pedals), and then later on get the Thrustmaster T3PA pedal set and the VG TH8A shifter add on as well. The whole thing will be around $550-$600 in the end but I think it'll be quite the set up. The G29 is almost $400 with the shifter anyway so I think the extra cost is worth it for the nicer hardware.

9 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Ya thanks. 9_9