Cannon Lake

So I'm planning an ultimate build for gaming and I understand Cannon lake is far away but do you guys think it will be a huge performance difference between those and the upcoming Kaby lake or a Skylake cpu?

4 minutes ago, Yoobsterlol said:

So I'm planning an ultimate build for gaming and I understand Cannon lake is far away but do you guys think it will be a huge performance difference between those and the upcoming Kaby lake or a Skylake cpu?

It's unlikely to be a big difference...Intel's just been coasting more or less lately.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

6 minutes ago, Yoobsterlol said:

It all depends on Zen. If it's amazing, then Intel might actually be pressed to bring huge increases.

If it doesn't, however, then we are screwed....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

It all depends on Zen. If it's amazing, then Intel might actually be pressed to bring huge increases.

If it doesn't, however, then we are screwed....

Why can't these manufacturers just give us the best they can!!!!!!!!!!

we dont know, its too far away. but it isnt very likely that it will be a huge jump just a little bit more performance and less heat. however if they use a completely new technique that isnt invented yet they could be much faster. it would kinda need to be something like the fin-fet chips that the newest amd and nvidia gpu's use

1 minute ago, Alexzz_ said:

we dont know, its too far away. but it isnt very likely that it will be a huge jump just a little bit more performance and less heat. however if they use a completely new technique that isnt invented yet they could be much faster. it would kinda need to be something like the fin-fet chips that the newest amd and nvidia gpu's use

Well the Cannon lake cpus are supposed to use 10nm process so I would think its a huge difference

2 minutes ago, Yoobsterlol said:

Because they dont need to, intel has no competition at the moment.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

2 minutes ago, Yoobsterlol said:

Well the Cannon lake cpus are supposed to use 10nm process so I would think its a huge difference

how many nm the chip is doesnt directly translate to performance tho

2 minutes ago, Hero7750 said:

Because they dont need to, intel has no competition at the moment.

I guess, Nobody would take a AMD cpu over a Intel cpu if they had similar performance

2 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

how many nm the chip is doesnt directly translate to performance tho

I know that but it will set a new limit for maximum performance 

1 minute ago, Yoobsterlol said:

I know that but it will set a new limit for maximum performance 

we don't really know, well find out when it releases

26 minutes ago, Yoobsterlol said:

Competition, as others have said in the thread, is part of the reason. But I think the bigger issue is demand. What do consumer PC users need to do that current CPUs (hell, even going back to Sandy Bridge) can't already do? The i5's and i7's we have now are already extremely fast processors, and so there just isn't a demand for big gains every year. It doesn't make sense to spend so much effort and money on R&D when only a small number of PC users will buy an upgrade.

So instead we get incremental updates, mostly focused on keeping up with new USB, memory, and storage technologies.

3 hours ago, typographie said:

Competition, as others have said in the thread, is part of the reason. But I think the bigger issue is demand. What do consumer PC users need to do that current CPUs (hell, even going back to Sandy Bridge) can't already do? The i5's and i7's we have now are already extremely fast processors, and so there just isn't a demand for big gains every year. It doesn't make sense to spend so much effort and money on R&D when only a small number of PC users will buy an upgrade.

So instead we get incremental updates, mostly focused on keeping up with new USB, memory, and storage technologies.

so you think it would be a safe investment to just wait a couple of months for Kaby lake cpus and that will probably do just fine for 4 or more years? My idea was that I keep on using my laptop until Cannon lake cpus and Volta Gpus come out and then build a pc but do you think it would be fine to just get a Kaby lake which is just around the corner and get a decent Pascal gpu now and upgrade to a Volta when they come out?

14 hours ago, Yoobsterlol said:

so you think it would be a safe investment to just wait a couple of months for Kaby lake cpus and that will probably do just fine for 4 or more years? My idea was that I keep on using my laptop until Cannon lake cpus and Volta Gpus come out and then build a pc but do you think it would be fine to just get a Kaby lake which is just around the corner and get a decent Pascal gpu now and upgrade to a Volta when they come out?

If Kaby Lake is just fine for 4 or more years, in all likelihood Skylake would be too.

If we had official word that Kaby Lake was coming really soon then it might be worth waiting, but since we don't I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to wait, that's up to you… but I think the chances are high you'll be waiting for long time just to get a CPU that's not much more than 5% faster per clock than what you can buy right now.

Of course we're making a lot of assumptions here. It's not impossible Kaby Lake could be bigger than we expect, but that would make it the first in five generations to be a big improvement over the previous. Not good odds.

41 minutes ago, typographie said:

If you want to wait, that's up to you… but I think the chances are high you'll be waiting for long time just to get a CPU that's not much more than 5% faster per clock than what you can buy right now.

Of course we're making a lot of assumptions here. It's not impossible Kaby Lake could be bigger than we expect, but that would make it the first in five generations to be a big improvement over the previous. Not good odd

Oh Broadwell...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!