PhysX Dedicated GPU

Tony92882

So I just took out my GTX660ti and upgraded to an GTX 970, reasons being its the best card that goes with my water block and i really don't have a huge reason to run up to the 1070/80 right now. But my question is, would it be worth it to keep the 660ti in my pc with air cooling just to run physX on it and leave the 970 to do the rest. has anyone bench tested anything close to that. (honestly just being lazy and don't feel like opening up my case to test it)

SYSTEM: I7-4770K OC to 4.3 GHz / Asus Maximus Gene VII / 32 gb DDR3 1866 mhz OC to 1900 MHz /  EVGA GTX 970 OC to 1500 MHz / Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition plus RBG lighting with remote added in / 1 TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO / Corsair AX 860  / Water Cooled EKWB CPU and GPU with a 240 Rad and 120 Rad with a 5.25 bay/pump combo and a drain port at the bottom, All push pull configs with a total of 8 fans including the air flow for the case itself.

If your goal is to produce more heat and use more power, go for it. Dedicated PhysX cards are a thing of the past, really. They offer little to no performance increase, and can sometimes decrease performance. 

4 minutes ago, Tony92882 said:

So I just took out my GTX660ti and upgraded to an GTX 970, reasons being its the best card that goes with my water block and i really don't have a huge reason to run up to the 1070/80 right now. But my question is, would it be worth it to keep the 660ti in my pc with air cooling just to run physX on it and leave the 970 to do the rest. has anyone bench tested anything close to that. (honestly just being lazy and don't feel like opening up my case to test it)

Not really worth it IMO. To begin with not many games support PhysX, and those that do also dont gain much from it. I have a 970 with a 750Ti as PhysX card, and I hardly notice anything different so in they end I sell both of them and about to get a 1070 LOL

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

No 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If your goal is to produce more heat and use more power, go for it. Dedicated PhysX cards are a thing of the past, really. They offer little to no performance increase, and can sometimes decrease performance. 

that seems to be the answer i expected... it was just a thought since i have the card sitting here. 

SYSTEM: I7-4770K OC to 4.3 GHz / Asus Maximus Gene VII / 32 gb DDR3 1866 mhz OC to 1900 MHz /  EVGA GTX 970 OC to 1500 MHz / Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition plus RBG lighting with remote added in / 1 TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO / Corsair AX 860  / Water Cooled EKWB CPU and GPU with a 240 Rad and 120 Rad with a 5.25 bay/pump combo and a drain port at the bottom, All push pull configs with a total of 8 fans including the air flow for the case itself.

4 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Not really worth it IMO. To begin with not many games support PhysX, and those that do also dont gain much from it. I have a 970 with a 750Ti as PhysX card, and I hardly notice anything different so in they end I sell both of them and about to get a 1070 LOL

HAR HAR.. yes.. thank you.. i'll wait till my next revamp on my rig to do some upgrading.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

keep it on a shelf for decorational and/or emergency purposes.

Emergency purpose actually make alot of sense. My 970 one day suddenly die so I have to send it to the shop to get a new one (insurance FTW), and during the 1+ month they keep it I get a 750Ti second hand, that's why I have that card in the first place. 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

9 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Emergency purpose actually make alot of sense. My 970 one day suddenly die so I have to send it to the shop to get a new one (insurance FTW), and during the 1+ month they keep it I get a 750Ti second hand, that's why I have that card in the first place. 

yea i agree with you there, thankfully you had it.. i do have a test bench system i put it in for now just to keep it somewhere, i mean its an open case test bench but its better then having it laying around..