[Help] Cosair Dominator Platinum OR Gskill Trident Z

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Thanks! and what do you mean careful which ones I get? like speed wise? 

also these are the exact set im looking at getting now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232329

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel X99 Platform Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C16Q-64GTZKW

DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Timing 16-18-18-38

Cas Latency 16

Voltage 1.35V

I'm glad you asked.

You want 16-16-16-36, 16-18-18-38 is Hynix MFR AFAIK. Bit slower. 16-16-16-36 is Samsung E-Die which is faster and a bit more efficient.

20 minutes ago, harrynowl said:

I'm glad you asked.

You want 16-16-16-36, 16-18-18-38 is single sided Hynix MFR. Bit slower. 16-16-16-36 is Samsung E-Die which is faster and a bit more efficient.

wow thanks! no way I would have ever known that! Problem is if I can find that black with white accents in a 64gig (4x16) config.

This was the only one I could find with 16-16-16-36 with white accents.  But its not black brushed aluminum its grey :/   http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3300c16q-32gtzsw

Looks like pretty much all 16-16-16-36 are grey with red.  Maybe they are releasing other colors soon? Not sure how much longer I am able to hold off though.

5 minutes ago, H2O said:

wow thanks! no way I would have ever known that! Problem is if I can find that black with white accents in a 64gig (4x16) config.

This was the only one I could find with 16-16-16-36 with white accents.  But its not black brushed aluminum its grey :/   http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3300c16q-32gtzsw

Hmm. You could try paining another kit? The bar on the top comes off I believe.

Just now, harrynowl said:

Hmm. You could try paining another kit? The bar on the top comes off I believe.

I am not very confident in myself to do this. lol I dont have any good materials to make it look good either.  Wouldn't that mess up the cooling having painted it myself?  also how big of a difference are we talking in terms of efficiency etc?

1 minute ago, H2O said:

I am not very confident in myself to do this. lol I dont have any good materials to make it look good either.  Wouldn't that mess up the cooling having painted it myself?  also how big of a difference are we talking in terms of efficiency etc?

To be honest, you probably won't really notice it. I just like buying the best possible thing for the money.

The bar on top is pretty much all aesthetic :)

You could try Ripjaws 5? They are similar but a bit cheaper. Although you do lose some aesthetics.

6 minutes ago, harrynowl said:

To be honest, you probably won't really notice it. I just like buying the best possible thing for the money.

The bar on top is pretty much all aesthetic :)

You could try Ripjaws 5? They are similar but a bit cheaper. Although you do lose some aesthetics.

yeah... I hope not :(  I want the best aesthetics but also the best or close to performance! I might have to make a sacrifice here.  But you agree regardless its better than corsair dominator platinum?  Thanks for all the help btw!  Everyone here is so nice and helpful.  I am really liking it here. 

edit! omg look at the end at this graphic! it looks like they will eventually have 16-16-16-36 with black and white! http://www.overclockers.com/g-skill-announces-new-colors-trident-z/

1 minute ago, H2O said:

yeah... I hope not :(  I want the best aesthetics but also the best or close to performance! I might have to make a sacrifice here.  But you agree regardless its better than corsair dominator platinum?  Thanks for all the help btw!  Everyone here is so nice and helpful.  I am really liking it here. 

Yeah, I would advise against dominator platinum. they're just so overpriced for what they are (poo).

6 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

As I said, I also painted it myself and it is super easy. The coloured strip comes off very easily and it's just a bit of plastic that slides into the notches of the RAM. I wanted a white kit myself, but since there is no real ETA on the colour-coded kits, I went and did it myself. Go to your next hardware store and get a matte spray paint of your choice, a sponge to roughen up the surface of the plastic and give it 2-3 coatings to completly seal off the red layer underneath. And don't worry about the black/brushed aluminium thing, one side is the brushed black, and the other is the brushed aluminium. So basically a 3-colour kit. 

No Gskill logo though :(  but I will give this as a valid option.  I thought they did have some color kits, just not all of them?

6 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

Weren't available in Germany when I purchased them last week. And according to G-Skill they should've been out since end of may. So yeah, got tired of waiting and did the pain thing myself. 

nice! I might have to as well, im not a very patient person but I cant get my hands on my other components yet anyways.  Asus Rampage V Extreme Edition 10 is sold out, so is the EVGA 1080 FTW, and I cant find this ram.