please help Configure CPU Fan

Denis_Twin

Hi, so I own a Dell Precision t3600, and got 60-70C under load with Auto fan speed turned on from the bios, I enabled Medium which is way too noisy and downloaded speedfan, could you guide me on how to configure it properly?

Thanks.

Have you tried a lower setting since Medium is too loud?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried a lower setting since Medium is too loud?

Yes and I get bad temps too.

6 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Yes and I get bad temps too.

What were your temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

58 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What were your temps?

65-73c+

What were your temps?

This is a temporal fix until I get a proper cooling solution.

I need an air cooler that can be quet and fit my system's case as well as keep the cpu cold even when gaming.

Right now on auto when idle I get 55c average

5 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

65-73c+

Those temps are fine. You're fine up to ~85c at load.

Those temps are fine. You're fine up to ~85c at load.

The specs sheet says otherwise.

I was told so here:

The cpu should be at max at 60-65 worse.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

The specs sheet says otherwise.

I was told so here:

The cpu should be at max at 60-65 worse.

Could you link the post? That's a pretty long thread to read through.

Could you link the post? That's a pretty long thread to read through.

around the end

8 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

around the end

64c is the Tcase temp which is the temp the IHS should stay below and it isn't the same as core temps.

59 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

64c is the Tcase temp which is the temp the IHS should stay below and it isn't the same as core temps.

can you add that statement in the post please so people can respond?

Thanks

Regardless, should I make any modifications or buy a new cooling solution? I get fps drops and people at that post are getting leads that it could be that.

10 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

can you add that statement in the post please so people can respond?

Thanks

Regardless, should I make any modifications or buy a new cooling solution? I get fps drops and people at that post are getting leads that it could be that.

I don't think cooling is the issue. The things I would look into would be the ram, psu, or motherboard settings. 

Have you set your motherboard settings back to default?

I don't think cooling is the issue. The things I would look into would be the ram, psu, or motherboard settings. 

Have you set your motherboard settings back to default?

yes just now.

check this; 

this time you need to check , at least the initial post.

I tried to keep it updated.

14 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

yes just now.

check this; 

this time you need to check , at least the initial post.

I tried to keep it updated.

Is there a better power supply you can borrow to test your system with?

Is there a better power supply you can borrow to test your system with?

unfortunately no, and I am not sure how it would fit. Everyone uses laptops nowadays.

3 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

unfortunately no, and I am not sure how it would fit. Everyone uses laptops nowadays.

It seems like the one thing that hasn't been tested yet and is possibly the culprit behind the issue.

It seems like the one thing that hasn't been tested yet and is the possible culprit behind the issue.

Agreed but at the same time can you confirm that it cannot provide the power the components need when coming down to paper?

Also I didnt understand why the fans is not the issue, the 65c value that the sheet describes also.

3 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Agreed but at the same time can you confirm that it cannot provide the power the components need when coming down to paper?

Also I didnt understand why the fans is not the issue, the 65c value that the sheet describes also.

I wouldn't be confident in running a 980 and E5-1620 with 216w from the 12v rail.

65c is for the Tcase and not core temps. Core temps are usually higher than the IHS.

I wouldn't be confident in running a 980 and E5-1620 with 216w from the 12v rail.

65c is for the Tcase and not core temps. Core temps are usually higher than the IHS.

So are my temps okay from the descriptions I gave ?

Also, I will pm you to keep the discussion more limited and I will come back to post the result here.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

So are my temps okay from the descriptions I gave ?

Also, I will pm you to keep the discussion more limited and I will come back to post the result here.

Like I said, your temps are low.

Just keep it in the thread unless it's a private matter--that's kind of the point of a forum as a reference in the future. 

Like I said, your temps are low.

Just keep it in the thread unless it's a private matter--that's kind of the point of a forum as a reference in the future. 

It sort of is, I will post the result of the discussion here myself.

Regardless, if they are not throttling or causing issues then there is nothing to fear then.