Interpreting HDTune Results

Go to solution Solved by Aisling,

I re-ran HDTune and the problem seems to be gone. I suspect my copy of Windows 10 or the drivers to be responsible since I performed a clean install Friday afternoon. Nonetheless thanks for all the effort!

Capture.PNG

Hey!

While testing my other drives to see if they were still working for second hand sale I noticed that my main storage HDD, while showing decenter average performance, has read/write speeds all over the place. This is not the case with my secondary HDD's (+/- 8 MB/sec) and also my SSD runs fine. I have not noticed any problems using the drive (and have back-ups in place in case it fails), but I wish to be ahead of any failures. Should I worry about these results and is there anything I could do to further troubleshoot or solve this problem? Unfortunately the warranty on this drive is long gone. :)

The drive is a WD Green 3TB (WDBAAY0030HNC).

Thank you in advance for any intel!

HDTune Benchmark & Health Check:

hdtune1.PNGhdtune2.PNG

4 minutes ago, Aisling said:

Hey!

While testing my other drives to see if they were still working for second hand sale I noticed that my main storage HDD, while showing decenter average performance, has read/write speeds all over the place. This is not the case with my secondary HDD's (+/- 8 MB/sec) and also my SSD runs fine. I have not noticed any problems using the drive (and have back-ups in place in case it fails), but I wish to be ahead of any failures. Should I worry about these results and is there anything I could do to further troubleshoot or solve this problem? Unfortunately the warranty on this drive is long gone. :)

The drive is a WD Green 3TB (WDBAAY0030HNC).

Thank you in advance for any intel!

That looks kinda normal for a WD Green. They are low power consumption drives so they don't maintain clean data rates like a Blue or Black would. I have a green that I salvaged from my external drive when the logic board went bad and it produces similar results from what I remember. I can test when I get home from work if you would like to compare them. how long have you had the drive and how much use does it get?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 hour ago, DevilishBooster said:

That looks kinda normal for a WD Green. They are low power consumption drives so they don't maintain clean data rates like a Blue or Black would. I have a green that I salvaged from my external drive when the logic board went bad and it produces similar results from what I remember. I can test when I get home from work if you would like to compare them. how long have you had the drive and how much use does it get?

Thank you for the clarification! In search for warranty information I tried to look up the invoice, but I couldn't find one. The fact that it has a 2 year warranty and the WD warranty tool, for my serial number, says warranty ended late 2014, means it's about 4 years old. It's my main data drive. It stores photos which I regularly edit and my documents folder which I (and other programs) use all the time.

4 minutes ago, Aisling said:

Thank you for the clarification! In search for warranty information I tried to look up the invoice, but I couldn't find one. The fact that it has a 2 year warranty and the WD warranty tool, for my serial number, says warranty ended late 2014, means it's about 4 years old. It's my main data drive. It stores photos which I regularly edit and my documents folder which I (and other programs) use all the time.

If it gets used a lot then it could possibly be starting to get worn out. I'll try to remember to run a test when I get home so that you can see what my results look like, but I won't be home for about another 6 hours.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

On 6/13/2016 at 11:22 AM, Aisling said:

Sorry for the delay. After looking at it again and running my own benchmark just now, I think your drive is bad because your transfer rate spikes should not be that drastic, and you should probably replace it very soon. These are the results that I get from my WD Green 2TB.

2016-06-14_2103.png

END OF LINE

On 13.06.2016 г. at 5:42 PM, Aisling said:

~snip~

Hi there :) Welcome to the community!

That WD Green drive has quite a lot of hours on it. 30k+ hours of work time is quite a lot, though the S.M.A.R.T. status does not show anything alarming. 
I would run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. If the drive does it should be safe to use.

Do post the test results from the diagnostic tool.

Post back if you need more info on the drive :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On 6/15/2016 at 4:04 AM, DevilishBooster said:

---

Thank you so much for posting your result for comparison. It indeed looks my drive needs a closer look.

7 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

---

The quick scan passed successfully (there were no other stats shown), and the extended test is currently running with ~6 hours to go. 

11 hours ago, Aisling said:

~snip~

If the tool says PASS then you should be fine. If something failed you would have received an error message. 

Post back when the extended test completes.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

On 6/17/2016 at 9:53 AM, Captain_WD said:

---

I let the test run overnight, and in the morning I had a dialog stating that the test completed successfully. When I clicked on "Ok" (or similar) the program froze and force quit, so I'm not sure if I should have extended test results or that the dialog is all I would get. :(

~Edit: the dialog did show that the entire scan (all blocks) had been completed, and did not hint to any damaged sectors.

Edited by Aisling
Extra clarification

I also ran the same test in HDTune. This time it didn't crash, and below are the results. :)

Capture.PNG

On 18.06.2016 г. at 0:14 PM, Aisling said:

~snip~

According to these tests the drive is fully healthy. 

Try running a different benchmarking tool and if the results are confirmed contact our live support. The guys there should be able to give you more information. 

Captain_WD.

Thank you. I'll run another benchmarking tool and if the behavior is persistent I'll contact WD support. :)

I re-ran HDTune and the problem seems to be gone. I suspect my copy of Windows 10 or the drivers to be responsible since I performed a clean install Friday afternoon. Nonetheless thanks for all the effort!

Capture.PNG

On 20.06.2016 г. at 5:07 PM, Aisling said:

~snip~

Hey, great to hear that! Drivers can indeed cause such situations. I do hope the problem was resolved and the drive is working as it should be. Do post back if the situation reoccurs or if you have other questions or something I can help you with. :)

Captain_WD.