UPS Software

Hi all.

I am having an issue with my ups monitoring software. The issue I have, is that the included software has an high CPU usage and raises the overall CPU temperature.

My CPU: Intel I7 4790

The UPS brand and model I have is RCT 2000VAS.
The included software's name is ViewPower. 
The ups is connected to the computer with a USB serial port. (The cable looks like a old printer cable)

This monetering software (Viewpower) is written in Java, and might be the reason for the high CPU usage.
The java process javaw.exe is located in the Viewpower directory folder. In my case it is C:\ViewPower2.14\jre\bin\javaw.exe
When my system in on idle, my CPU usage for the process  javaw.exe is about 17% where the overall CPU usage is about 18%.  The CPU temperature is about 50 degrees Celsius at this time.
When I kill this process, the CPU usage drops to 3% and the CPU temperature stabilizes at about 38 to 40 degrees Celsius.

I have 2 main questions regarding the monitoring software.

The first question: Is there a way to maybe configure the software to utilize less CPU time?
And the secondly question, is there maybe a better software package to use the USB serial to monitor the ups?

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Jpbnetley said:

Hi all.

I am having an issue with my ups monitoring software. The issue I have, is that the included software has an high CPU usage and raises the overall CPU temperature.

My CPU: Intel I7 4790

The UPS brand and model I have is RCT 2000VAS.
The included software's name is ViewPower. 
The ups is connected to the computer with a USB serial port. (The cable looks like a old printer cable)

This monetering software (Viewpower) is written in Java, and might be the reason for the high CPU usage.
The java process javaw.exe is located in the Viewpower directory folder. In my case it is C:\ViewPower2.14\jre\bin\javaw.exe
When my system in on idle, my CPU usage for the process  javaw.exe is about 17% where the overall CPU usage is about 18%.  The CPU temperature is about 50 degrees Celsius at this time.
When I kill this process, the CPU usage drops to 3% and the CPU temperature stabilizes at about 38 to 40 degrees Celsius.

I have 2 main questions regarding the monitoring software.

The first question: Is there a way to maybe configure the software to utilize less CPU time?
And the secondly question, is there maybe a better software package to use the USB serial to monitor the ups?

Thanks in advance.

Windows has a built in UPS management. Like everything in Windows, it's kind of crude and doesn't support all third party devices, but it's there. If it's just notifications and graceful shutdown, you need, you should at least try it. With the drivers for the unit installed, take a look at your advanced power options. There should be settings for 'Battery' if Windows supports your UPS.

You can set priority to any process in Task Manager.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/10/2016 at 5:17 PM, Naeaes said:

Windows has a built in UPS management. Like everything in Windows, it's kind of crude and doesn't support all third party devices, but it's there. If it's just notifications and graceful shutdown, you need, you should at least try it. With the drivers for the unit installed, take a look at your advanced power options. There should be settings for 'Battery' if Windows supports your UPS.

I checked in the advance power options and it seems that windows does not detect my UPS. I should also mention, that when I kill the javaw.exe process, I keep hearing that connect / disconnect sound. It only stops when I run the Viewpower program again. 

I am assuming I should then just stick with Viewpower. I have tried the ups software from this website http://www.ups-software-download.com/ but it did not detect my ups. (It continued with that connect / disconnect sound).

23 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I will have a look at this and see if there is a difference when I set the priority to low. Thank you for the suggestion.

23 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

And It is not making any difference unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Jpbnetley said:

And It is not making any difference unfortunately.

Task Scheduler might give bit more to it. I'm not expert on these so can't really be anymore assistance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Task Scheduler might give bit more to it. I'm not expert on these so can't really be anymore assistance.

I used Task Scheduler so that Viewpower can auto start, as the way Viewpower enabled auto start would take to long and windows would make that Connect/Disconnect sound for quite a few seconds. Task scheduler fixed this issue.

But the CPU usage remains too high for my taste.

• 1 year later...

I'm facing the very same problem and I mostly use My Desktop for gaming and can't afford to have high cpu usage. But if I kill javaw.exe (this java app is necessary to run the main ViwePower app) CPU usage normals down but then annoying Device Connect and Disconnect sounds kills my Peace of mind and Focus. So, Request if anyone know any solution to this please HELP !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in Advance