Hi Guys,

So I looked around for a case and chose the Corsair 400C. Now, I want to add 6 fans, 3 in the front, 1 in the back and 2 more fans on a radiator (CPU cooler). Since the case supports 140 mm and 120 mm fan sizes, I wanted to the following : 3 120 mm fans in the front, 1 140 mm in the back and 2 more 140 mm on the radiator. My question is if I will create a negative air pressure with that setup since the 3 140 mm fans push out more air than the 3 120 mm fans pull inside the case?

1 minute ago, Don653 said:

Hi Guys,

So I looked around for a case and chose the Corsair 400C. Now, I want to add 6 fans, 3 in the front, 1 in the back and 2 more fans on a radiator (CPU cooler). Since the case supports 140 mm and 120 mm fan sizes, I wanted to the following : 3 120 mm fans in the front, 1 140 mm in the back and 2 more 140 mm on the radiator. My question is if I will create a negative air pressure with that setup since the 3 140 mm fans push out more air than the 3 120 mm fans pull inside the case?

It depends if I were you I would do 3 fans (in the front) doing intake and the rest out to create positive air pressure

2 minutes ago, Don653 said:

if you not doing something very extreme this fan setup is totally overkill. positive or negative pressure are things you can use in more complicated environments. for normal desktops the most efficient way is one or two fans in the front and one exhaust at the back. this results in a nice one directional airflow threw your case. 

moving air with pressure isnt very efficient in usecases where there is much space. in a desktop you want speed. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

2 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

if you not doing something very extreme this fan setup is totally overkill. positive or negative pressure are things you can use in more complicated environments. for normal desktops the most efficient way is one or two fans in the front and one exhaust at the back. this results in a nice one directional airflow threw your case. 

moving air with pressure isnt very efficient in usecases where there is much space. in a desktop you want speed. 

well he already has a radiator with two fans running out of the case. It is more likely that with three outtakes and three intakes that he will be able to get the proper air he needs in his case to be able to push hot air out and take in cool and clean air

The 400c cannot fit a 280 rad in the top.it CAN fit 2x140 fans, but the thickness of a radiator causes it to interfere with the Motherboard and RAM. even a 240 is iffy in a 400c without really low profile RAM. the 400c is also not compatible with 140 in the rear, its 120 only. You should really check the spec sheets of a component for compatibility...

Link to Corsair's page for the 400c

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/carbide-series-clear-400c-compact-mid-tower-case

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

The 400c cannot fit a 280 rad in the top.it CAN fit 2x140 fans, but the thickness of a radiator causes it to interfere with the Motherboard and RAM. even a 240 is iffy in a 400c without really low profile RAM.

it depends on how thick the rad is usually fans are 25-35mm thick and if that is enough then and a rad is about 35mm thick depending on which radiator you get then it should be enough and he can put the fans on top and the rad inside the case

I mean... i guess you could do that. would look ugly af. but i guess you could do that.

So to answer his original air pressure question then, air pressure isnt about fan size, its about fan speed (or more accurately, CFM). if you want to create positive pressure with 3 120's in the front and 3 140's out the back, turn down your 140's RPM and turn up your 120's RPM

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I mean... i guess you could do that. would look ugly af. but i guess you could do that.

So to answer his original air pressure question then, air pressure isnt about fan size, its about fan speed (or more accurately, CFM). if you want to create positive pressure with 3 120's in the front and 3 140's out the back, turn down your 140's RPM and turn up your 120's RPM

well since two of the 140's are running through a radiator the pressure is already lowered by almost half

9 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

well he already has a radiator with two fans running out of the case. It is more likely that with three outtakes and three intakes that he will be able to get the proper air he needs in his case to be able to push hot air out and take in cool and clean air

with a radiator he needs a case with more space in top. but i would recommend to get a setup where you can mount the radiator in the front. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

with a radiator he needs a case with more space in top. but i would recommend to get a setup where you can mount the radiator in the front. 

I agree

Okay, well thanks for all your replies ^^ I think I'll just do two 120 mm in the front (with rad) 1 120 at the top and 1 120 in the back ^^ And for the case I'll pick the NZXT S340. It's a bit of a mainstream case but whatever xD