Looking for headphones (WARNING AUDIO NOOB)

Hi, :)

So I'm looking for a pair of headphones (never owned headphones neither earphones in the past:o)

I know I'm gonna prefer open-back, over-ear headphones with a lot of bass. (I like bass) But I don't want headphones that sound like *vomit* Beats *vomit*.

I looked into the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's but they are closed back (which isn't bad, just prefer open) and they have a "flat" sound signature with limited bass according to most people.

I've also looked at the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm headphones but heard that they need a powerful amp (using onboard ASUS crystal sound) and that the treble might be "ear-piercing" and "shrilly" for some people.

I'm going to use these headphones for basically everything from watching videos, listening to music, playing games (Battlefield, Witcher 3 etc...) and whatever.

Headphones that require separate amps are welcome to suggestion, I'll most likely get the Schiit Vali 2 amp if I have to get an amp.

Basically I want headphones that are:

Over-Ear

Preferably Open Back (closed is fine)

Comfortable

Wired (NOT wireless)

Have good bass + mids and treble (but not too loud treble)

Good quality

Not "gaeming" branded with "EXTRA 99999.9 SURROUND OMG BUY NOW !11!!1!11!!!"

Under $250

Thanks for any help! xD

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Sennheiser HD598 

If you don't like the color, buy the special edition of the HD598's

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

1 minute ago, spark12072001 said:

Sennheiser HD598 

Is there any difference between the two colors besides the color? The "Noctua" edition looks like it has softer ear cups.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

1 minute ago, Husky said:

Is there any difference between the two colors besides the color? The "Noctua" edition looks like it has softer ear cups.

Yes, they also have different materials on the earcups.

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

14 minutes ago, spark12072001 said:

Sennheiser HD598 

I personally can't stand how little bass the sennheiser HD series has. just IMO though.

Woo!

2 minutes ago, Wiflare said:

I personally can't stand how little bass the sennheiser HD series has. just IMO though.

Well then, Sennheisers are out. :(

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

4 minutes ago, Husky said:

Well then, Sennheisers are out. :(

I used to have a pair of audio technica m40 headphones, they were pretty great and the cable is nice and thick. I suppose the m50's are even better, too. Just don't accidentally drop textbooks onto them, they might crack. :dry:

Edit: they're closed backed though, if that makes much of a difference.

Woo!

I'm actually going to get the Schiit Vali 2 tube amp as well as headphones, so go ahead and suggest headphones even if they are hard to drive.

P.S. I like warm sound.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

Its a bit over your budget, but I would like to recommend AKG K712 Pro. (USD 310 on Amazon at the moment)

Its got nice amount of bass and it is also very comfortable. It is good to use for everyday driver as it is not very tiring to hear for long sessions.

24 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Its a bit over your budget, but I would like to recommend AKG K712 Pro. (USD 310 on Amazon at the moment)

Its got nice amount of bass and it is also very comfortable. It is good to use for everyday driver as it is not very tiring to hear for long sessions.

Will look into it, Thanks! :)

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

Why does a Husky want headphones :D 

Oh and the HD 558 sounds 95% the same as the 598 and you can just remove a piece of foam in them and they sound 100% the same and the K712 is also pretty good.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Why does a Husky want headphones :D 

Oh and the HD 558 sounds 95% the same as the 598 and you can just remove a piece of foam in them and they sound 100% the same and the K712 is also pretty good.

I need them to keep warm in the snow and I like music! :D

Still confused as to what I should get. Leaning towards the Beyerdynamics DT990's or the Sennheisers. Could always use an EQ to calm the treble down a bit and bump up the bass.

Also, would I need a DAC for the Schiit Vali 2 or could I just use the onboard because the ASUS onboard is pretty good already. Maybe I can just plug the Vali 2 Amp into my non-amplified speaker output at the back of my PC?

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

I need them to keep warm in the snow and I like music! :D

Still confused as to what I should get. Leaning towards the Beyerdynamics DT990's or the Sennheisers. Could always use an EQ to calm the treble down a bit and bump up the bass.

Also, would I need a DAC for the Schiit Vali 2 or could I just use the onboard because the ASUS onboard is pretty good already. Maybe I can just plug the Vali 2 Amp into my non-amplified speaker output at the back of my PC?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Thanks, maybe I'll save my money and get a DAC + AMP later. (Still getting it even though I don't need it at all because I'm that type of guy who cares about that 5% better quality and tubes have that warm sound + they look sick lol)

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

Thanks, maybe I'll save my money and get a DAC + AMP later. (Still getting it even though I don't need it at all because I'm that type of guy who cares about that 5% better quality and tubes have that warm sound + they look sick lol)

Just get a tube amp then and drop the dac

16 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Just get a tube amp then and drop the dac

So I don't need a DAC if using the normal SPEAKER output, NON-amplified, but just let the tube amp do the amplification work theb?

So on my PC I have 2 outputs, normal non-amplified speaker output and amplified headphone output. So if I connect the Vali 2 tube amp to the non-amplified speaker output using a 3.5mm to RCA cable and set Windows volume to max while just using the Vali 2 instead to control volume, it will work fine? Sorry I'm noob at this audio stuff. :)

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

So I don't need a DAC if using the normal SPEAKER output, NON-amplified, but just let the tube amp do the amplification work theb?

So on my PC I have 2 outputs, normal non-amplified speaker output and amplified headphone output. So if I connect the Vali 2 tube amp to the non-amplified speaker output using a 3.5mm to RCA cable and set Windows volume to max while just using the Vali 2 instead to control volume, it will work fine? Sorry I'm noob at this audio stuff. :)

what kind of speakers are we talking?

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

what kind of speakers are we talking?

I mean plug the Vali 2 into my non-amplified speaker out on my mobo, Then plug headphones into the Vali 2.

So like this:

PC non-amplified speaker output > 3.5mm to RCA cable > Vali 2 input > Headphones plug into Vali 2.

Set Windows volume to 100% and let the Vali 2 do the amplification work.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

I mean plug the Vali 2 into my non-amplified speaker out on my mobo, Then plug headphones into the Vali 2.

So like this:

PC non-amplified speaker output > 3.5mm to RCA cable > Vali 2 input > Headphones plug into Vali 2.

Set Windows volume to 100% and let the Vali 2 do the amplification work.

Oh Yeah just plug the vali 2 into the back of the mobo.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Oh Yeah just plug the vali 2 into the back of the mobo.

OK thanks for your help! :)

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

I would suggest keeping an eye on Massdrop for the next AKG-7xx offering.

Although I find the DT 990s incredibly comfortable, the treble is simply too much for me.