Is it worth upgrading to the i7 4790k.. or is the i5 4690k still better value

Okay so I've just bought the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MOBO for my new system build and the plan was to purchase the Core i5 4690k to run on it. However... In the last 2 weeks the price of the 4690k has increased from £169.99 to £194.99 (I presume it's popular so supply & demand dictates price..).

So my question really is; is it worth the money being asked for it? or would it be more cost effective to upgrade to the i7 4790k for an extra £60-70? I'm likely to use the system for Gaming but predominately it will be a workhorse PC, for occasional video editing, programming, graphic design & general work/browsing.

What are your thoughts? Also any recommendations for a good cooler to accompany would be greatly received (Circa £40 - 80 price point).

Thanks in advance!

PC Gamer | Photography Enthusiast | Tech Junkie

The thicker the skin, the darker the mind...

Currently building my 2nd PC, build details to follow!

The 4970k is better in all aspects except performance per dollar.  (Shown below)

Slightly better performance per dollar 4.17 pt/$ vs 3.36 pt/$

I would get the 4790k for future proof but wait for it to go on sale or the 4690k if it goes on sale first.

(Ok so in conclusion get the first one to go on a good sale
)

New to the forum! Treat me well please :3 as I am a noob

I wouldn't pick up the i7 over the i5 for just gaming. 

8 minutes ago, darkoj1 said:

l video editing, programming, graphic design

With that in mind I might, though.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

10 minutes ago, darkoj1 said:

Okay so I've just bought the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MOBO for my new system build and the plan was to purchase the Core i5 4690k to run on it. However... In the last 2 weeks the price of the 4690k has increased from £169.99 to £194.99 (I presume it's popular so supply & demand dictates price..).

So my question really is; is it worth the money being asked for it? or would it be more cost effective to upgrade to the i7 4790k for an extra £60-70? I'm likely to use the system for Gaming but predominately it will be a workhorse PC, for occasional video editing, programming, graphic design & general work/browsing.

What are your thoughts? Also any recommendations for a good cooler to accompany would be greatly received (Circa £40 - 80 price point).

Thanks in advance!

For video Editing the 4790k will out perform the 4690k easily. I would go with the 4790k 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you're doing more than gaming, get the i7.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

14 minutes ago, MineralMining said:

The 4970k is better in all aspects except performance per dollar.  (Shown below)

Slightly better performance per dollar 4.17 pt/$ vs 3.36 pt/$

I would get the 4790k for future proof but wait for it to go on sale or the 4690k if it goes on sale first.

(Ok so in conclusion get the first one to go on a good sale
)

I'm hoping the sales are sooner rather than later, amazes me that they're on the same price point as the new Skylake chips! thanks for your response.

9 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

I wouldn't pick up the i7 over the i5 for just gaming. 

With that in mind I might, though.

That was my logic, but due to the fact it's more than a gaming machine, and the price gap is closing it seems like the loigcal choice if the performance is there to support that.

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

For video Editing the 4790k will out perform the 4690k easily. I would go with the 4790k 

Appreciate the response, and I'd have to agree the performance for multi-threaded applications is much better.

I wonder why did you buy a Z97 mobo rather than getting a skylake system, but oh well...

Check for prices on the i5 5675c and the i7 5775c as well. Where I live, they are going for pretty much the same price as their Haswell counterparts, which makes them a better buy.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

If you're doing more than gaming, get the i7.

Thanks for the response.  I can see you're running the 4790k.. have you overclocked? If so how did you get on?

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

I wonder why did you buy a Z97 mobo rather than getting a skylake system, but oh well...

Check for prices on the i5 5675c and the i7 5775c as well. Where I live, they are going for pretty much the same price as their Haswell counterparts, which makes them a better buy.

Mainly budget as the motherboards are slightly cheaper, also the devils canyon processors are very good price for the performance output, was my preferred option.

Thanks for your help, I'll do some research on those too.

4 minutes ago, darkoj1 said:

Thanks for the response.  I can see you're running the 4790k.. have you overclocked? If so how did you get on?

Mainly budget as the motherboards are slightly cheaper, also the devils canyon processors are very good price for the performance output, was my preferred option.

Thanks for your help, I'll do some research on those too.

I run mine at 4.6ghz, it wasn't so stable at 4.7 without a ton of power which isn't worth it to me.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

3 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Not quite. Consumer Broadwell was kinda weird and not really targeted at gamers or people who need a workstation. It actually is beat by the 4790k in benchmarks. The only thing the 5775C has going for it is it's very nice integrated graphics. Here is a good souce to show you what I mean. http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-5775c-broadwell-processor-review_166875

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

39 minutes ago, darkoj1 said:

Thanks in advance!

For that price difference and your use case, buy the i7 all day long...

11 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

Not quite. Consumer Broadwell was kinda weird and not really targeted at gamers or people who need a workstation. It actually is beat by the 4790k in benchmarks. The only thing the 5775C has going for it is it's very nice integrated graphics. Here is a good souce to show you what I mean. http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-5775c-broadwell-processor-review_166875

And lower power consumption. And L4 Cache.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!