Disk hits 100% while using machine

Fortress

I recently posted a problem about my hard drive hitting 100% while playing games installed on my second hard drive. Eventually the problem got worse.

When you boot the machine, it now takes 10-15 minutes (not even joking) to get to the login screen. Applications such as Chrome and Word would suddenly freeze while using them, some don't even open (I'm looking at you, CCleaner). Taskbar would take about half a second to a second before playing the mouse hovering animation. 

Consulting the task manager, Disk 1 (the main OS drive) fluctuates at 95% to 100% while using the machine. Processes such as Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted), System and compressed memory and wsappx were using 0.1, 0.5 and 1.2 MB/s respectively, a very small value, but task manager renders it as 100%. The machine eventually goes to about 10 - 20% usage, but sudden spikes do occur.

I've been facing this issue about 4 days ago, and up until now it's still happening. What should I do to solve this problem? I've only installed Windows 10 two months ago. Help is appreciated!

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

If its a HDD and you have your os,your files etc. on it then it will have high usage. It could also be that its just getting old and cant run as fast.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

HDD could be dying.  But other than that, hard drives are a hideously slow part of a modern computer.  Main OS's pretty much always should be on SSDs these days.  I am almost to the point that if I see someone in "New Builds" come up with a configuration without a generously (ie: 240gb-500gb or more) sized SSD, I'll cuss 'em out.  Lol.  Seriously, get a SSD. 

1 hour ago, Fortress said:

I recently posted a problem about my hard drive hitting 100% while playing games installed on my second hard drive. Eventually the problem got worse.

When you boot the machine, it now takes 10-15 minutes (not even joking) to get to the login screen. Applications such as Chrome and Word would suddenly freeze while using them, some don't even open (I'm looking at you, CCleaner). Taskbar would take about half a second to a second before playing the mouse hovering animation. 

Consulting the task manager, Disk 1 (the main OS drive) fluctuates at 95% to 100% while using the machine. Processes such as Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted), System and compressed memory and wsappx were using 0.1, 0.5 and 1.2 MB/s respectively, a very small value, but task manager renders it as 100%. The machine eventually goes to about 10 - 20% usage, but sudden spikes do occur.

I've been facing this issue about 4 days ago, and up until now it's still happening. What should I do to solve this problem? I've only installed Windows 10 two months ago. Help is appreciated!

I was going to suggest reinstall windows but I see your installation is already recent (assuming it was a clean install and not an upgrade). Can you run hard drive benchmarks and post what kind of speeds you are getting. I am running normal mechanical hard drives in my computer and I find them pretty quick, 30 second windows boot etc so I would not out right blame it on the type of hard drive but it could be the hard drive age or SATA controller or some nasty nasty software on your computer thats doing this.

Alright, I did a clean install of Windows 7 (only OS I have available in-hand) and I can confirm that the problem is the hard drive. Even without any programs installed, the disk still managed to hit 100%. I will replace this immediately with an SSD since according to HWMonitor, the temperature is reaching 59 degrees celsius. And plus I had it since 2004 (12 years ago). Thanks for the help guys!

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)