Network Switch Connection Questions

Manny_NotTheStig

I also have a Western Digital My Net port switch (http://www.amazon.com/WD-My-Net-Switch-Ethernet/dp/B007KZQM8W?tag=hardfocom-20). I'm going to have three desktop systems connected and I have a couple of questions about optimal connections. 

First system is my gaming/streaming rig with 4790K on an MSI Z97-G45 mobo with a Killer gigabit built-in network card.

Second is my all purpose desktop (will be used for some video editing and such) running a 2600(non-K) on a Biostar H61ML mobo with I think a generic Realtek 100/10 network card.

Third is a FreeNas box I'm about to build with a xeon e3-1230 on a Supermicro X9SCL which has two built-in Intel gigabit NICs.

I also have two NC360T dual port gigabit NICs (http://www.ebay.com/itm/152053342430?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) I got off ebay when I started considering building a FreeNas box. 

1. Does it make sense to use the add-on NICs in my first two systems instead of what they come with? I haven't had issues with the Killer NIC, but I've read a lot of people reporting issues.

2. If I do, can I connect both ports on each system to the network switch to increase transfer rates between the systems? 

3. Is my port switch okay or should I pick up something better? It has different colored ports for supposedly different priorities.

4. If I can, and do put this together with this arrangement, can i also connect 2 cables to my Comcast gateway? The official data sheet from Cisco says it is capable of 1000/100/10 (http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC3939.html)

Thanks for your replies.

This enquiry all started after watching this video. I'm not sure what the SMB is, and I'm assuming (hoping) it's all there with all the systems and not something additional I have to install. The first two are running windows 10 and the last will just be running freenas

Thanks for your replies.

EPINEPHRINE 2.0: Corsair Air 240 | Intel Core i7-8700K | MSI Z370M PRO AC | Corsair Dom Plats 2x8gb DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080Ti SeaHawk (Hybrid) | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair H100iV2 | 850 Evo 500gb | WD Black 750gb |

AMIODARONE: CM HAF 912 | Intel Xeon E5-2670 | Intel DX79SI | 4x4gb DDR3 1333 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Corsair CX750 | Thermalright HR02 Macho | 850 Evo 250gb | WD Green 1TB | Seagate 3TBx2

Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/u/80234

1. I would replace the 10/100 NIC in the 2600 system with an NC360T. As for the Killer NIC I would keep that until you have any issues with it. No need to replace something that is not faulty.

2. I think what you are talking about here is what is shown in the video (NIC Teaming). Whilst this is possible the process is incredibly difficult and I'm not even sure if it is supported in FreeNAS or any Windows version past 8. In addition, unless you have an SSD or a very good RAID 100 or 5 array you will be bottlenecked by the speed of your storage drive (E.g. If the max write speed of the drive you are accessing is 100mbits the max speed you will be able to access your files would be 100Mbits, even if you used 1gbit ethernet) If you did want to increase transfer speeds and the PCs were not too far apart you might want to invest in an SFP card (Example) and SFP cable. This is a lesser known standard based off SFP fibre cable that deliver 10Gbit networking speeds (For more info see this video)  Would only recommend it though if you have an SSD as it is way overpowered for a HDD.

3. While it is not necessary to upgrade the switch you might want to think about upgrading anyway. The port based QoS is probably going to be a bottleneck. Would recommend a Netgear ProSafe 8-port as a replacement. I have one and they are very durable and very easy to set up.

4. No. Although I have personally not used the Comcast Gateway, this would cause most routers to have DHCP clashes as it would see all the devices connected to the switch twice. Also unless you have internet that is faster than 1Gbits there is no benefit to you.

As for your additional comment about SMB at the bottom. SMB is a type of netowrk protocol that allows you to share files and access other PCs acrosss a network. it includes a variety of useful tools including permissions (So you can limit certain peoples access to documents) and connection are digitally signed so you know who they are coming from. SMB is built into every Windows version and is very easy to use and can be used on Linux and Mac OS X with a bit of config.

Main Rig: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kLDFqk

Server: Dell PowerEdge R710 / Intel Xeon X5675 @ 3.06GHz / 128GB DDR3 RAM / Dual RAID 5 Arrays (3x 1TB + 3x 2TB) for 6TB of Storage

Laptop: HP Pavilion x360 13-s150sa / 13" 1080p Display / i5 6200u / 128GB SSD / 8GB DDR3 RAM

Broadband: Virgin Media Vivid 350 (385 Mbps Down / 20 Mbps Up)

Thanks for the reply. 

I guess sometimes the videos on YouTube make you feel like superman - like you could do anything. I don't think I need the 10 gigabit cards. I'll just connect them as usual. I will look into the Netgear switch for sure.

Thanks again.

EPINEPHRINE 2.0: Corsair Air 240 | Intel Core i7-8700K | MSI Z370M PRO AC | Corsair Dom Plats 2x8gb DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080Ti SeaHawk (Hybrid) | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair H100iV2 | 850 Evo 500gb | WD Black 750gb |

AMIODARONE: CM HAF 912 | Intel Xeon E5-2670 | Intel DX79SI | 4x4gb DDR3 1333 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Corsair CX750 | Thermalright HR02 Macho | 850 Evo 250gb | WD Green 1TB | Seagate 3TBx2

3 hours ago, jjbone1000 said:

1. I would replace the 10/100 NIC in the 2600 system with an NC360T. As for the Killer NIC I would keep that until you have any issues with it. No need to replace something that is not faulty.

2. I think what you are talking about here is what is shown in the video (NIC Teaming). Whilst this is possible the process is incredibly difficult and I'm not even sure if it is supported in FreeNAS or any Windows version past 8. In addition, unless you have an SSD or a very good RAID 100 or 5 array you will be bottlenecked by the speed of your storage drive (E.g. If the max write speed of the drive you are accessing is 100mbits the max speed you will be able to access your files would be 100Mbits, even if you used 1gbit ethernet) If you did want to increase transfer speeds and the PCs were not too far apart you might want to invest in an SFP card (Example) and SFP cable. This is a lesser known standard based off SFP fibre cable that deliver 10Gbit networking speeds (For more info see this video)  Would only recommend it though if you have an SSD as it is way overpowered for a HDD.

1. Yea agree with this.

2. No what is being shown is not NIC teaming but what is called SMB Multichannel. Between Windows systems that support this feature it is seamless and 'just works', for linux based systems you must be running the latest version of SAMBA and it is still classed as experimental/early release feature.

@Manny_NotTheStig

SMB multichannel or 10Gb do give great speed improvements but as @jjbone1000 point out unless the storage can deliver more than what a single 1Gb connection can offer by a significant amount it's not worth the extra cost or cabling in multichannel's case. Also is there actually a need for faster than 1Gb too, most of the time the answer is no.

Yeah it was just something that I wondered ("if I could, why not").