Constant Blue Screen on startup

Jakoob

Hello all, ever since I upgraded my brothers PC its been blue screening on startup. This has been happening for months now and hes reinstalled windows to try and fix everything but now hes having issues with the task bar getting locked and not responding in addition to the blue screens on start up. Hes run mem tests and windows memory diagnostic and both came up with nothing. Hes moved the ram around and tried under and over clocking. He's also noticed that it only blue screens after a couple hours of the PC being off. If the PC's off for a couple minutes after its been turned on then its fine. He's reformatted three times now, thanks for any help you guys can offer.

SPECS

i5 6600k

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P

2x8GB Corsair LPX 2400Mhz

EVGA 600B

R9 280 Dual X

x2 HDD

Have you tried without GPU, so with onboard CPU graphics?

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

2 hours ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

Have you tried without GPU, so with onboard CPU graphics?

Just tried that and had a memory management blue screen.

1 hour ago, StainlessSR said:

First what did you change on the upgrade?

well he had a phenom x2 940 before this i5. I needed DDr4 so I got some from frys electronics and that was fine. I saw a similar kit go on sale for less money and returned it. I think the blue screens started after I installed the new ram.

12 minutes ago, Jakoob said:

well he had a phenom x2 940 before this i5. I needed DDr4 so I got some from frys electronics and that was fine. I saw a similar kit go on sale for less money and returned it. I think the blue screens started after I installed the new ram.

You can have a bad ram stick with no memtest errors. Sounds like that may be the culprit. Try running the system with just one stick, if it has the error try the other stick. Also, try  it in each slot.

stick a in slot 1 = crash, stick a in slot 2 = crash, stick b in slot 1 = no crash stick b in slot 2 = no crash ==bad stick of ram

stick a in slot 1 = crash, stick a in slot 2 = no crash, stick b in slot 1 = crash stick b in slot 2 = no crash ==bad slot

edit: also, if you bought two one stick sets they may not work together, that is why they are sold in sets(8x2=16gb or 4x4=16gb) so the manufacturer is assured they play well together

Edited by StainlessSR
additional info