Problems

Yanderella

So I usually play Black Ops 2 at 1080p ultra. When I do, I usually get 160-250 fps. However, today, for no reason, my computer started acting up. I've been getting 40-70 frames on BO2, and now it takes a while for games/applications to load.

I know this isn't a problem with Black Ops 2, as I noticed a performance hit in Skyrim as well.

I attempted a System Restore, but the result is still the same.

Anybody have any solutions?

Specs: i7-4790k w/ H100i GTX, 16GB DDR3-1600, AsRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA SuperNova 750G1, MSI R9 390, W.D 3TB Green.

I haven't overclocked anything yet so that isn't the problem,

EDIT: I forgot to mention that prior to this, my computer randomly shut off twice. Is it possible that the computer may be in power saving mode?

Do you have software to monitor things like gpu usage, gpu core clock, cpu usage, ect? If so have you checked it to see if there is any differences?

I would recommend a hard reset, back everything up onto a hard drive, then reset your machine. Possible malware if it's running that slow.

A lot of factors could've played into this. No bottlenecks in the system, Perhaps you had other applications open at the time? Or maybe new software you recently installed. But if the System Restore still gives you the same result then it might be a hardware issue.

My suggestion is to check all the cables and wires in your system, both internally and externally. Maybe a cable got loose or even cut. Also, as previously mentioned, download and run some monitoring software to check for any anomalies. 

9 minutes ago, swordsm3n said:

Do you have software to monitor things like gpu usage, gpu core clock, cpu usage, ect? If so have you checked it to see if there is any differences?

I've downloaded MSI Afterburner. GPU Fans don't run, GPU and CPU Usage fluctuates rapidly

3 minutes ago, viperatedrko said:

A lot of factors could've played into this. No bottlenecks in the system, Perhaps you had other applications open at the time? Or maybe new software you recently installed. But if the System Restore still gives you the same result then it might be a hardware issue.

My suggestion is to check all the cables and wires in your system, both internally and externally. Maybe a cable got loose or even cut. Also, as previously mentioned, download and run some monitoring software to check for any anomalies. 

The only other application I had open was a Chrome Tab, which shouldn't have affected it much. I've downloaded MSI Afterburner, and the usage of GPU and CPU fluctuates.

12 minutes ago, Fri3s3N said:

I would recommend a hard reset, back everything up onto a hard drive, then reset your machine. Possible malware if it's running that slow.

Thank you, I will try it and see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, Yanderella said:

I've downloaded MSI Afterburner. GPU Fans don't run, GPU and CPU Usage fluctuates rapidly

Gpu fans dont run? Probably a problem. What are your gpu temps?

34 minutes ago, swordsm3n said:

Gpu fans dont run? Probably a problem. What are your gpu temps?

around 45 idle, 60-65 load.

1 hour ago, Yanderella said:

So I usually play Black Ops 2 at 1080p ultra. When I do, I usually get 160-250 fps. However, today, for no reason, my computer started acting up. I've been getting 40-70 frames on BO2, and now it takes a while for games/applications to load.

I know this isn't a problem with Black Ops 2, as I noticed a performance hit in Skyrim as well.

I attempted a System Restore, but the result is still the same.

Anybody have any solutions?

Specs: i7-4790k w/ H100i GTX, 16GB DDR3-1600, AsRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA SuperNova 750G1, MSI R9 390, W.D 3TB Green.

I haven't overclocked anything yet so that isn't the problem,

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that prior to this, my computer randomly shut off twice. Is it possible that the computer may be in power saving mode?

13 hours ago, Yanderella said:

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that prior to this, my computer randomly shut off twice. Is it possible that the computer may be in power saving mode?

Power saving mode wouldn't shut the computer off unless it was idle for a while. If the computer shut off, that is usually a sign of cpu temps getting too high which could also explain the drop in performance. The cpu will throttle itself if it starts running hot, and if it gets too hot it will shut off completely. Have you been monitoring your cpu temperatures? Your h100 could be bad, or be going bad. Feel it while you have your computer on to see if you feel the pump operating.

5 hours ago, swordsm3n said:

Power saving mode wouldn't shut the computer off unless it was idle for a while. If the computer shut off, that is usually a sign of cpu temps getting too high which could also explain the drop in performance. The cpu will throttle itself if it starts running hot, and if it gets too hot it will shut off completely. Have you been monitoring your cpu temperatures? Your h100 could be bad, or be going bad. Feel it while you have your computer on to see if you feel the pump operating.

How will I know if the pump is operating?

8 minutes ago, Yanderella said:

How will I know if the pump is operating?

Either check the temps or hear a whining noise coming from the CPU block.

My pump is operating normally. My CPU stayed at around 33 degrees idle and my GPU ran at about 67 degrees idle with minimal fan usage.

At this point, I think my system has a virus. CPU and GPU usage is fluctuating like crazy, and Black Ops 2 is not a demanding game in the slightest.