Overclocking FX-8300 in prebuilt system.

Go to solution Solved by tbake0155,

If that is in fact the motherboard (M5A97 EVO2), it appears to have a beefy VRM cooler.  It does not explicitly state anywhere that I can find the specifics of the VRM, but from appearance alone I don't think the VRM will overheat and catch fire if you do a little overclock.

The board does seem to allow overclocking.  You can try it, why not, but be mindful you are not going to get insane overclocks.  If you upgrade to an aftermarket cooler you might give yourself a little headroom too but I wouldn't invest too much in a cooler unless you plan to keep the system for a while.

6 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

I think 4.0 GHz is easily attainable for you with a much cheaper cooling solution than $150.  I think that would be about a top of the line cooler.

One thing to keep in mind about coolers is they are a more permanent investment than a CPU.  If you get a good cooler you can continue to reuse it on your next build.  Even if it's a mediocre cooler it will be better than any stock cooler (except maybe the new wraith cooler !).

Yeah, i'll do that. i'm just not goingstart with watercooling any time soon cuz i'm a clumsy little sh*t :D