Ath-m50x or hyperx cloud2?

nedkic

Hi guys I spend 70% gaming and 30% watching YouTube/listening music in Youtube.

i want to buy myself a new headphone but I'm still deciding whether m50x or cloud 2 is a better purchase. I won't bring the headphone out.

I know gaming headsets are generally bad in sound quality but I heard the cloud2 sounds pretty good. So what should I get if I mostly game? Is the cloud 2 really bad for occasional music/movie?

Another concern is I heard the m50x is not comfortable for long-use, I would want a comfortable headphone for around 4 hours of use. 

Thanks guys and apologise for bad English 

Cloud, since the m50x has no soundstage at all and are not very comfortable.

I think you need to find out how you want your music to sound like more focus on bass or more focus on treble aka find out what sound signature you like.

There is a pinned post you could give a look.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Thx!

But does the sound quality feels day and night? People said headphone has much more clear/crisp sound than gaming headset

34 minutes ago, nedkic said:

Thx!

But does the sound quality feels day and night? People said headphone has much more clear/crisp sound than gaming headset

they can have depending on what headphones you get, but the m50x sound quality is not very good for the price. All the headphones that are in the pinned post are a good value for the price.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I've read the pinned thank you! :)

seems m40x is a better deal

so m40x may sound slightly better than cloud 2?

2 hours ago, nedkic said:

i want to buy myself a new headphone but I'm still deciding whether m50x or cloud 2 is a better purchase. I won't bring the headphone out.

I know gaming headsets are generally bad in sound quality but I heard the cloud2 sounds pretty good. So what should I get if I mostly game? Is the cloud 2 really bad for occasional music/movie?

Another concern is I heard the m50x is not comfortable for long-use, I would want a comfortable headphone for around 4 hours of use. 

right now there is a drop on massdrop for the he-350s from hifimann which normally cost $300 but its only $100 they are way better than the m50x' and they are cheaper right now.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350

3 hours ago, nedkic said:

2 minutes ago, Syde said:

right now there is a drop on massdrop for the he-350s from hifimann which normally cost $300 but its only $100 they are way better than the m50x' and they are cheaper right now.

i own a pair and they are sweat. they are also openback

1 hour ago, Syde said:

I believe that the HE-350's have ALWAYS been $100. The HE-400s are the $300 pair.

They are decent for the price though, from what I've been told. I have no personal experience with them.

2 hours ago, nedkic said:

I've read the pinned thank you! :)

seems m40x is a better deal

so m40x may sound slightly better than cloud 2?

nah still no soundstage, if you don't need sound isolation get open headphones they usually have a bigger soundstage than normal closed headphones.

2 hours ago, Syde said:

They have never been 300$ and will never be 300$, they are based on the older HE 300 that were 300$, but the HE 350 is massdrop only and costs 100$. You can only say they normally cost 300$ if you can buy them in another store/shop for that and not if you only can buy them when massdrop drops them.

Thanks guy

one more question, If I already had a gaming headphone (Steelseries H wireless from my older brother)

which one, AD700x or m40x(m50x) will be a better option for youtube video/ youtube music/ movie?

Comfort is also an important factor to me haha

11 minutes ago, nedkic said:

Thanks guy

one more question, If I already had a gaming headphone (Steelseries H wireless from my older brother)

which one, AD700x or m40x(m50x) will be a better option for youtube video/ youtube music/ movie?

Comfort is also an important factor to me haha

The AD700x would be 1000000% better than the Steelseries H for gaming  xD 

The DT 770 is a much better "version" of the m50.

28 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

The AD700x would be 1000000% better than the Steelseries H for gaming  xD 

The DT 770 is a much better "version" of the m50.

I know but my brother is giving me for free so....haha

yes but the dt770 a bit expensive

i can get a m40x with $85, is it a sweet deal?

P.S. i dont have a dedicated sound card or amp or anything, I just listen to youtube music haha

49 minutes ago, nedkic said:

P.S. i dont have a dedicated sound card or amp or anything, I just listen to youtube music haha

Well I used my HE 560 with my onboard for a month with no problem, so onboard can be pretty good and I only have a amp and dac because I go to lans where there is sometimes sponsered pc with static noise.

51 minutes ago, nedkic said:

I know but my brother is giving me for free so....haha

yes but the dt770 a bit expensive

i can get a m40x with $85, is it a sweet deal?

The m40x costs 80$ on amazon, they are a better deal than the m50x, but still not that comfortable

13 hours ago, nedkic said:

Hi guys I spend 70% gaming and 30% watching YouTube/listening music

i have the cloud 1's and they are really really good, they make other headphones seem cheap to me cause they are used with real leather and metal and i highly recommend getting the cloud 2's.

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

nah still no soundstage, if you don't need sound isolation get open headphones they usually have a bigger soundstage than normal closed headphones.

They have never been 300$ and will never be 300$, they are based on the older HE 300 that were 300$, but the HE 350 is massdrop only and costs 100$. You can only say they normally cost 300$ if you can buy them in another store/shop for that and not if you only can buy them when massdrop drops them.

MSRP*

11 minutes ago, Syde said:

MSRP*

that means nothing when it is massdrop only

I personally use M50X, they are indeed uncomfortable but this can be fixed by using other foams, I use the HM5 Velour and it makes it pretty comfortable for long use. I also had a pair of M40X, it is pretty similar but if you have the money I would go with the M50x over the m40x but the m40x is still a good deal. I've never had a HyperX Cloud so I can't really compare the sound but I can tell you the M50x is very flat which is good for video editing and other stuff but that doesn't mean you will like them for listening to music or play games. They don't have a lot of bass, the m40x have even less bass so if you want bass I guess the Cloud would be a better option but don't take my word for it, I've never had a pair of hyperx cloud.

23 minutes ago, Lunatica said:

I personally use M50X, they are indeed uncomfortable but this can be fixed by using other foams, I use the HM5 Velour and it makes it pretty comfortable for long use. I also had a pair of M40X, it is pretty similar but if you have the money I would go with the M50x over the m40x but the m40x is still a good deal. I've never had a HyperX Cloud so I can't really compare the sound but I can tell you the M50x is very flat which is good for video editing and other stuff but that doesn't mean you will like them for listening to music or play games. They don't have a lot of bass, the m40x have even less bass so if you want bass I guess the Cloud would be a better option but don't take my word for it, I've never had a pair of hyperx cloud.

very flat? LOL the frequency response looks like ski slope. The m50x has a bass boost, the m40x are closer to flat, but still not flat.

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

very flat? LOL the frequency response looks like ski slope. The m50x has a bass boost, the m40x are closer to flat, but still not flat.

I'm giving my opinion about them and it's fine if you don't agree with it. I'm not looking at statistics to tell what I think about them, I'm sharing my personal experience. They are probably not the flattest thing on the market but for the price it's pretty hard to find something like that. I'm just saying it's probably better to go with something else than these if he wants bass.

1 hour ago, Lunatica said:

I'm giving my opinion about them and it's fine if you don't agree with it. I'm not looking at statistics to tell what I think about them, I'm sharing my personal experience. They are probably not the flattest thing on the market but for the price it's pretty hard to find something like that. I'm just saying it's probably better to go with something else than these if he wants bass.

you should not call them flat when the frequency response looks like a ski slope, it is the frequency response that describes the sound signature. I am all for people having opinions, but if it's factual incorrect I gotta step in before someone makes even more mistakes. :)