MBUSCA.NET Malware on HP Chromebook 11 G3 J4U53EA

Hi, I have a problem, I hope you can help me.

I bought a secondhand HP Chromebook 11 G3 J4U53EA, for 200 euros.

I turned it on, logged into my google account and checked it out, since it is my first chromebook. I noticed that when I try to make a search in the URL bar, I got redirected to MBUSCA.NET.

Looked it up and it turns out to be a rootkit enabler and advertising tool of some sort.

I tried to Powerwash (Reset Chrome OS to default), but it remains the same.

Normally I'd know how to handle this, but I can't simply install programs on a chromebook. I need help with this, does anyone know what to do?

I wouldn't really recomend buying chromebooks, but as you have already done it I guess if you download the chrome os recovery app on another computer and follow the steps (which will make a recovery usb drive you can use in your chromebook) that should get rid of any traces of the old installation as you install it from an external to the chromebook source

Okay, will do.

Why do you not recommend getting a chromebook?

8 hours ago, ElMachoBurg said:

I wouldn't really recomend buying chromebooks, but as you have already done it I guess if you download the chrome os recovery app on another computer and follow the steps (which will make a recovery usb drive you can use in your chromebook) that should get rid of any traces of the old installation as you install it from an external to the chromebook source

Okay, will do.

Why do you not recommend getting a chromebook?