Negative Air Preassure Problem

N3rot0xin

Trying to solve a problem I have with my case. I have an s340 case, with a 240 rad in the front. For the cooling fans, I have 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553005 .

The issue I have is A: those are not PWM. And B, I I have negative air pressure due to the case fans. I have to run the intake fans pretty high (well they only have like 1 speed not being PWM, but I can get a little adjustment out of them). I run my exhaust fans(just the two stock 120mm) usually low for noise. But with the intake fans cooling the CPU and my 980, things get a bit warm. If I turn the exhaust fans up to get rid of heat, the noise goes up but more importantly im creating negative air pressure which negates the filtered intakes.

On all other builds ive run Corsair SP120s (HP editions). I switched to cougar because I've had the fans for a while un used, and wanted to use them. Now I'm realizing I may need to change to solve the air flow problem. I need something that can push enough air at reasonable noise levels to allow me to actually exhaust air without sucking in dust.

And yes I know Noctua NF-F12s are the king here, but I really cant justify paying that much for a single fan let alone 2. So im considering this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181027&cm_re=corsair_sp120-_-35-181-027-_-Product

Reason for this post is to see if any of you fine folk have any other suggestions as to things I can try or look into? Any input is appreciated

I am whatever I am. 

2 minutes ago, N3rot0xin said:

-SNIP-

You can setup the control of the Courgar fans as DC voltage control on your motherboard to control the speed of them so you have more intake volume than exhasut. I personally don't recommend the High Performance editions of those fans as they are quite noisy even when ramped all the way down. 

5 hours ago, W-L said:

You can setup the control of the Courgar fans as DC voltage control on your motherboard to control the speed of them so you have more intake volume than exhasut. I personally don't recommend the High Performance editions of those fans as they are quite noisy even when ramped all the way down. 

I dont think my motherboard can do that. I have a GA-Z170X motherboard, and the fan control in there is weird. it has Normal, Silent, and Full speed, as well as a %/degrees-celcius based PWM mode. No voltage control, which is why i need some PWMs. And what about the Quiet editions? Or are the quiets just the same fan with lower speeds? I just dont want to spent a ton on fans (even tho i am being kinda picky). I'd settle for some PWM cougars if they're better then SP120s or comparable in anyways to noctuas. 

I am whatever I am. 

3 minutes ago, N3rot0xin said:

I dont think my motherboard can do that. I have a GA-Z170X motherboard, and the fan control in there is weird. it has Normal, Silent, and Full speed, as well as a %/degrees-celcius based PWM mode. No voltage control, which is why i need some PWMs. And what about the Quiet editions? Or are the quiets just the same fan with lower speeds? I just dont want to spent a ton on fans (even tho i am being kinda picky). I'd settle for some PWM cougars if they're better then SP120s or comparable in anyways to noctuas. 

Ah the gigabyte boards are a bit of a tough one, it may only be an option in the BIOS or require their control software to do that but if it has PWM built in DC voltage should be an option. As for the Quiet editions they are better in terms of noise as they are barely audible when set to low compared to the High performance ones. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ah the gigabyte boards are a bit of a tough one, it may only be an option in the BIOS or require their control software to do that but if it has PWM built in DC voltage should be an option. As for the Quiet editions they are better in terms of noise as they are barely audible when set to low compared to the High performance ones. 

I have the System information viewer( SIV), which has 'PWM' and 'RMP Fixed mode' for each header. I have the header for the CPU fan set to RPM fixed currently. However i cannot adjust the curve/graph at all. I can on the other headers(which are all pwm). I may have to switch headers, i have the pump hooked up to the CPU_FAN header, and the fans split off of the CPU_OPT header. The exhaust are both on SYSFAN_2 (not that any of that is really relevant but.. eh). 

As for the SPs, what about airflow? Noise is half the issue albeit not a huge one currently. But the intake airflow is ultimately what im trying to balance. If the SPQuiets can be run at full speed and not be *that* noticable and still move positive amounts of air into the case, i'll settle on those. Im trying to avoid buying 4 sets of fans like i did on my last build. 

I am whatever I am. 

18 minutes ago, N3rot0xin said:

-SNIP-

At full speed any fan will be noisy, even the quiet editions are not silent when full or Nocuta's for that matter, but the SP are designed for pressure and not the best for airflow, however if you have obstructions like drive cages or very fine meshed filters the SP's would be better suited for those than say regular AF fans. 

Your probably going to need to get their Easy Tune software to more options, which might have that ability in there instead. 

56 minutes ago, W-L said:

At full speed any fan will be noisy, even the quiet editions are not silent when full or Nocuta's for that matter, but the SP are designed for pressure and not the best for airflow, however if you have obstructions like drive cages or very fine meshed filters the SP's would be better suited for those than say regular AF fans. 

Your probably going to need to get their Easy Tune software to more options, which might have that ability in there instead. 

Well they are pushing air thru a radiator in the front, which is why i want SPs. I guess what im asking for is "picky" after all.. High af + not sounding like a turbine. Just need to balance the air flow out. I'll first check out the ET utility and see if it has any options. 

I am whatever I am.