Aorus Complaint thread

I've personally had an absolutely shocking experience with Aorus, ranging from build quality to a seriously shoddy warranty experience.  

I've read an awful lot of forum entries of people having similar issues and would like to see if it is worthwhile trying to compile something here on LTT.

Aorus X3

GTX 870M

i7 4860HQ

8GB installed (16GB upgraded)

256GB M.2

To cut a (very) long warranty experience short -

1) CPU thermal throttling at C91 to 800mhz making all games at any setting unplayable.  Laptop is less than a year old.

2) During the (second of three, due to multiple parts failing) stress tests the repair company, MendIT, performed, the trackpad cable "burnt a whole through my keyboard".  WTF??!?

3) Absolutely no initiated contact with me, I had to initiate all dialogue over the course of my (first of two) warranty experiences. 

4) Upon return it appeared there had been a leakage out the back of my exhaust.

5) The repair company Gigabyte contract out to (a UK company, I'm also UK) installed a US style keyboard (replacing the one that was burnt through)... Not sure how this was possible.

Anyway I'd like to here other people's stories if they have them.  AFAIC Aorus build quality is shoddy to say the least, for example the hinge on the screen becomes extremely loose and wobbly over the course of a few months, the bottom of my chassis now "clicks" when i lift it.  The keyboard paint had started to peel away before the replacement was installed.

I really do feel like Aorus is pulling the wool over eyes here, correct me if I'm wrong, but I really do.  The response I've been given is an apology and an excuse that the liquid in my fan exhaust was "dust cleaner....".

My Aorus support thread - http://forum.aorus.com/forum/gaming-laptops/support/10294-turns-out-aorus-laptops-are-fire-hazards-ridiculous-warranty-experience

I would be surprised if something that thin and small which houses a 4860HQ and a 870M is not a fire hazard lel.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

9 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

I would be surprised if something that thin and small which houses a 4860HQ and a 870M is not a fire hazard lel.

thats unfortunate... when i saw the laptop come out, i really liked the looks, and design of it.  Had a lot of stuff i was looking for in it.  sad stuff.  

3 hours ago, never_here said:

thats unfortunate... when i saw the laptop come out, i really liked the looks, and design of it.  Had a lot of stuff i was looking for in it.  sad stuff.  

It is a real shame, I just wish I'd done some deeper digging before committing over £1,300 for something I haven't seen in 5 weeks and now need to send back again.  On top of that the hinge on the monitor is really, REALLY disappointing, after about 2 months typing lightly wobbles it so badly you can barely read text.

Also when you compare the warranty and customer service to other gaming laptop manufacturers, Dell's Alienware for example, it just comes nowhere near. 

There is no doubt these laptops are great, but only for a short period.  They deteriorate rapidly.

I'd also like to add their advertised fan control does not work on any of the X3's.  They released BIOS updates for the X5's and X7's though... I'm starting to worry support for it has already stopped.  On top of this after me posting visual evidence my BIOS is up to date, the support chap went ahead to say "It works on the X7, I'll try and get my hands on an X3".  I don't know about you but this doesn't sound promising for X3 owners.

6 minutes ago, kcaBsIsuxeN said:

It is a real shame, I just wish I'd done some deeper digging before committing over £1,300 for something

ya, to pay that much money, and getting problems like this is just saddening to hear.  My MSI had some minor issues, but nothing stopped it from running in general.  Hope their support manages to help you out, or make a deal with you in other ways.  Never bought gigabyte anything, so i do not know how they handle it. 

Yet ANOTHER symptom has shown its face.  

When I either move or lift my laptop when it isn't plugged in it switched off.

This is becoming ridiculous.