How's the performance of the GTX 960M?

deWaardt

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a laptop for my study, but as you all know laptops are quite pricey.

Now I am asking, how's the performance of the GTX 960M? The laptop I'll be getting has a skylake i7 quadcore (4 cores 8 threads), forgot which model i7 exactly.

How will the performance be compared to my current rig?

If it's about the same or better, I might sell my desktop to win back a bit money and use my laptop as primary PC, cost is really a very bad issue at the moment, but I need that laptop for my study.

Right now I can run BF4 on medium and GTA V on medium/high with 50 to 60fps, how will the GTX 960M + i7 compare to this?

Thanks in advance

Around a 750ti

same core.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Right now I can run BF4 on medium and GTA V on medium/high with 50 to 60fps, how will the GTX 960M + i7 compare to this?

Assuming the desktop and laptop have 1080p screens the 960m should do a bit better than that.

Though IMO I'd go for a cheap laptop just for word processing (perhaps even a chrombook) and upgrade the desktop.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I see you're Dutch, you can get a very good one for 930EU. http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/482577/asus-rog-gl552vw-cn471t.html

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Assuming the desktop and laptop have 1080p screens the 960m should do a bit better than that.

Though IMO I'd go for a cheap laptop just for word processing (perhaps even a chrombook) and upgrade the desktop.

I need the horsepower on the laptop, I can't take my desktop into school. I need to do a lot more than word processing and I'll be travelling a lot.

2 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

I see you're Dutch, you can get a very good one for 930EU. http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/482577/asus-rog-gl552vw-cn471t.html

That was exactly the laptop I was looking at.

On a side note, I could push a little bit further and get a GTX 970M.

GTX 970M worth it?

2 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

I need the horsepower on the laptop, I can't take my desktop into school. I need to do a lot more than word processing and I'll be travelling a lot.

GTX 970M worth it?

When do you need it? If you wait, the new gpus will come out and older gpus will drop price.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

2 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

GTX 970M worth it?

I think yes if you can buy a Gtx 970M its going to be a better choice, but if you dont have the money and you are going to do magic to get it, it isnt, i was searching a Notebook for study, The asus is a good option if you want to take the risk of having a fragile notebook (the plastic version) also the asus  warranty is a bit bad, try searching a Lenovo y700 or a MSI MSI GP62 6QE- Leopard Pro... (they are gtx 960 4gb)...
i never go for asus because i had one and it allways had problems :P

Notebookcheck.net for mobile benchmarks 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

When do you need it? If you wait, the new gpus will come out and older gpus will drop price.

Will the GPU price drop also happen for laptops?

Well, what I need is lots of CPU horsepower, and I mean lots of it.

Not celeron level bullshit. I'm gonna be using my laptop in school for running virtual machines, rendering etc

1 minute ago, nilotachi said:

I think yes if you can buy a Gtx 970M its going to be a better choice, but if you dont have the money and you are going to do magic to get it, it isnt, i was searching a Notebook for study, The asus is a good option if you want to take the risk of having a fragile notebook (the plastic version) also the asus  warranty is a bit bad, try searching a Lenovo y700 or a MSI MSI GP62 6QE- Leopard Pro... (they are gtx 960 4gb)...
i never go for asus because i had one and it allways had problems :P

Due to the small price difference between 960M machines and 970M machines I might as well just get a 970M, but I have no idea whether these price drops are gonna happen as well for laptops.

If so, I might still be getting a 970M and sell my desktop.

6 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

im going to buy a notebook as well, i think i will buy it near September, u think is gonna be a good time? or the new gpus are come out later?

I am not sure yet when I am getting it.

It's a bit up to what my parents want.

5 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Will the GPU price drop also happen for laptops?

Well, what I need is lots of CPU horsepower, and I mean lots of it.

Not celeron level bullshit. I'm gonna be using my laptop in school for running virtual machines, rendering etc

Due to the small price difference between 960M machines and 970M machines I might as well just get a 970M, but I have no idea whether these price drops are gonna happen as well for laptops.

If so, I might still be getting a 970M and sell my desktop.

depends on the notebook ur buying it wasnt that small amount between a 960 with the 970 it is  like 300 euros  but like im saying depends on the notebook.

23 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

GTX 970M worth it?

The GL552 plastic version (that one) is crappy - either get the metal version or skip it.

970M is around 40% faster than a 960M. 960M is essentially a 750 Ti

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

6 minutes ago, nilotachi said:

depends on the notebook ur buying it wasnt that small amount between a 960 with the 970 it is  like 300 euros  but like im saying depends on the notebook.

I'm not quite sure yet.

GTX 960M is still more likely. You're kinda right, but between some models there's a €200 gap and I might be able to pay that.

I'm just kinda thinking, can the 960M replace my desktop without tanking the performance?

A second issue is that I won't be home as much anymore and having a laptop to take with me to play games on is a lot nicer than no longer being able to play games because my desktop is at home.

A laptop with a powerful enough CPU but a lower end GPU (940M) is only ~700/800 so I have a plan B in case a laptop replacing my desktop is just not gonna be it, I'll just have to deal with being able to only game at high performance at home.

When considering everybody just said, it's probably a better idea to get a lower powered laptop and just keep the desktop, isn't it?

My "fallback cheapo laptop" has a 940M and a 1600*900 display which is enough for me, at that resolution.. Will I be able to game for a bit on the go, even if on low settings?

7 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

I'm not quite sure yet.

GTX 960M is still more likely. You're kinda right, but between some models there's a €200 gap and I might be able to pay that.

I'm just kinda thinking, can the 960M replace my desktop without tanking the performance?

A second issue is that I won't be home as much anymore and having a laptop to take with me to play games on is a lot nicer than no longer being able to play games because my desktop is at home.

A laptop with a powerful enough CPU but a lower end GPU (940M) is only ~700/800 so I have a plan B in case a laptop replacing my desktop is just not gonna be it, I'll just have to deal with being able to only game at high performance at home.

When considering everybody just said, it's probably a better idea to get a lower powered laptop and just keep the desktop, isn't it?

My "fallback cheapo laptop" has a 940M and a 1600*900 display which is enough for me, at that resolution.. Will I be able to game for a bit on the go, even if on low settings?

Yes, you can play, depending on the game you can use high settings as well, you can experience some lag in games like The witcher 3, Gta v, Far cry 4, you will be able to play but need to lower the resolution or lower setting...

5 minutes ago, nilotachi said:

Yes, you can play, depending on the game you can use high settings as well, you can experience some lag in games like The witcher 3, Gta v, Far cry 4, you will be able to play but need to lower the resolution or lower setting...

I won't mind lowering resolution, I'll guess I'll stick to that plan than.

I got both GTA V and Bf4 to run on a HD6570 with playable framerates, I can probably pull the same tricks again with the 940M :)

17 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

I won't mind lowering resolution, I'll guess I'll stick to that plan than.

I got both GTA V and Bf4 to run on a HD6570 with playable framerates, I can probably pull the same tricks again with the 940M :)

off course, good luck man!

4 minutes ago, nilotachi said:

off course, good luck man!

Thanks a lot man!

Have a good day!

my dell 7559 has a 960m, from what ive tested it runs witcher 3 on medium settings at 1080p at around 40fps average.

Its pretty decent overall 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883