E-Gpu Setup

I just recently bought a xps 13 (early 2016) with the QHD+ display, and i want to play some good looking games, without being at my desktop, i have been looking into buying a extrenal gpu dock for it so i can play games at my moms and dads house, i haven't been able to find a cheap dock (i couldn't care less about how it looks) i just need something around $100 with a thunderbolt 3 usb-c interface, not the mini pcie interface. could anyone give me some suggestions on what i should get, or if this is even a possibility?

i would like to mention that i have a spare 500w power supply, and a gtx 950 to use with it, just need the box

13 hours ago, SpaceTurtle917 said:

isnt that thunderbolt 2? so it would run at pcie 8x 3.0?

1 hour ago, Jackriegerattack said:

isnt that thunderbolt 2? so it would run at pcie 8x 3.0?

Idk to much about thunderbolt. but 8x is fast enough for a 950 i do know.

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

It is iffy trying to create an external GPU solution. Not impossible, but you are going to spend a lot of time and money trying to achieve it. I would either wait for support by your laptop for the Razer Core, or I would just build a budget desktop. You will end up having a lot more invested in an external GPU setup than you may think. Just my opinion.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

18 hours ago, SpaceTurtle917 said:

do NOT get an express card eGPU,extremely slow and its nothing but trouble (plus thunderbolt > express card will add major latency)

check this out: 

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

4 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

It is iffy trying to create an external GPU solution. Not impossible, but you are going to spend a lot of time and money trying to achieve it. I would either wait for support by your laptop for the Razer Core, or I would just build a budget desktop. You will end up having a lot more invested in an external GPU setup than you may think. Just my opinion.

its not hard at all with newer drivers and windows 10 if you know what you're doing and make intelligent purchases.  It used to be considerably harder, but now with a direct PCIe link over thunderbolt, its actually quite easy

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

18 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

its not hard at all with newer drivers and windows 10 if you know what you're doing and make intelligent purchases.  It used to be considerably harder, but now with a direct PCIe link over thunderbolt, its actually quite easy

I would agree with you, but the level of intelligence is relative. Also, we are leaving out the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter which is another $120, plus a power supply, plus the actual graphics card. We are getting to a point where unless you know exactly what you are doing, there will be a decent amount of money and time spent. Again, not impossible, but it could be quite discouraging. On the other hand, many tech minded people (myself included) enjoy the journey and troubleshooting until we get a solution. 

In regards to new Windows 10 drivers, what exactly are you speaking of? Is there now native support for an external GPU?

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

4 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

I would agree with you, but the level of intelligence is relative. Also, we are leaving out the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter which is another $120, plus a power supply, plus the actual graphics card. We are getting to a point where unless you know exactly what you are doing, there will be a decent amount of money and time spent. Again, not impossible, but it could be quite discouraging. On the other hand, many tech minded people (myself included) enjoy the journey and troubleshooting until we get a solution. 

In regards to new Windows 10 drivers, what exactly are you speaking of? Is there now native support for an external GPU?

check out the thread I linked above, but yes windows 10 has some support features for hot-swap GPUs and such

On 4/29/2016 at 1:16 PM, jonathan13 said:

lol i have a desktop with a 4790k at 5.25GHz and a 980ti im just looking for a more portable solution