Computer part persuasive essay for English class

safarihunter

Hello! I am doing a persuasive essay for my highschool english class and I need a good topic that I can use associated with computer components(preferably processors, gpu's, ram, or hdd's and ssd's) Before I do the essay we were given a paper to fill out that is asking me for five things that support each side, then I need to chose four of those and list at least one specific story or personal example to prove each of the 4 points that I have chosen. I also need to say what points or arguments will this audience (the tech community) use to disagree with me. This is a 500 word essay and the paper that I am currently filling out will be do tomorrow morning. 

3 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

Hello! I am doing a persuasive essay for my highschool english class and I need a good topic that I can use associated with computer components(preferably processors, gpu's, ram, or hdd's and ssd's) Before I do the essay we were given a paper to fill out that is asking me for five things that support each side, then I need to chose four of those and list at least one specific story or personal example to prove each of the 4 points that I have chosen. I also need to say what points or arguments will this audience (the tech community) use to disagree with me. This is a 500 word essay and the paper that I am currently filling out will be do tomorrow morning. 

I too liked to live dangerously by procrastinating until the last moment in high school. While I can't help you with this specific assignment I bid you the best of luck as you'll need every ounce of it lol.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

I too liked to live dangerously by procrastinating until the last moment in high school. While I can't help you with this specific assignment I bid you the best of luck as you'll need every ounce of it lol.

lol thanks

@safarihunter If you want a more sophisticated essay, you could compare RISC (restricted Instruction set) CPUs against x86 or even x64 processors :P But you could also be creative and try to analyze if Moore's Law has finally come to an end :D Another great topic would be if programs are getting less demanding in terms of hardware or if PC's are not getting faster by the same rate they used to "evolve" in the 80's :D

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Your audience is and always will be (while in school) the teacher grading your assignment so if you're going to make an argumentative paper on computer components then you must be able to explain what they do, how they work and why your teacher should give a shit well before you even start the argument. This is why you need to pick something more general in the computer world. Something more people understand and if not that then something that majority of people are influenced by.

I am rooting for the ARM vs x86 topic because it can go into depth on how computers will be in the future and whether or not we'll even have these giant towers on our desks any more. But you can also write about net neutrality, Apple vs the FBI ( i just wrote about this), vr, artificial intelligence. 

2 hours ago, cangath said:

Your audience is and always will be (while in school) the teacher grading your assignment so if you're going to make an argumentative paper on computer components then you must be able to explain what they do, how they work and why your teacher should give a shit well before you even start the argument. This is why you need to pick something more general in the computer world. Something more people understand and if not that then something that majority of people are influenced by.

I am rooting for the ARM vs x86 topic because it can go into depth on how computers will be in the future and whether or not we'll even have these giant towers on our desks any more. But you can also write about net neutrality, Apple vs the FBI ( i just wrote about this), vr, artificial intelligence. 

The Apple vs FBI debate is very interesting and has a lot of sources on the topic. I just did a point counter point speech about it. Definitely something worthwhile to talk about.

Debates are the best things to make essays about because there's clear contrast to go for/against. The hardest part is the intro and conclusion.

These previous posts have some good ideas.

Apple vs FBI (I side with FBI)

HDD vs SSD (I like to have both, so that would be tricky for me)

AMD vs Intel VS Nvidia (I side with AMD)

PC vs Console (PC nowadays IMO)

But as Cangath said you need to be able to explain how all the things you mention work otherwise you will lose the reader very quickly.

That's actually not a bad idea too, one paragraph as a crash course for each of the 8 or so main components. Save that one for an essay that needs to be extra long.

Just now, Okjoek said:

Debates are the best things to make essays about because there's clear contrast to go for/against. The hardest part is the intro and conclusion.

These previous posts have some good ideas.

Apple vs FBI (I side with FBI)

HDD vs SSD (I like to have both, so that would be tricky for me)

AMD vs Intel VS Nvidia (I side with AMD)

PC vs Console (PC nowadays IMO)

But as Cangath said you need to be able to explain how all the things you mention work otherwise you will lose the reader very quickly.

That's actually not a bad idea too, one paragraph as a crash course for each of the 8 or so main components. Save that one for an essay that needs to be extra long.

ok cool thanks!

12 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

ok cool thanks!

As an addition to what @Okjoek said, you need to grab the reader's attention in the first three or four lines of the essay, and make sure the conclusion supports your hypothesis. Quite often a teacher will read the first paragraph and the conclusion, so you need to make sure that both include and back up your hypothesis.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Macs vs PC?

You could probably teach your class something.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270