Upgrading my CPU

I currently have an AMD FX 6300 in my current system but I am looking to upgrade because it seems to be limiting my GPUs performance within quite a lot of my games. Fallout 4 is a big one it seems to be bottlenecking. I was wondering what would be a better upgrade path. Should I either upgrade to a 8350 or should I completely switch to something haswell based? I'm not after skylake because I don't want to upgrade my ram as well. I'm not into overclocking my CPU so that is not on the cards. Just wondering what your guys input is.

2 minutes ago, ItzzMonstarr said:

I currently have an AMD FX 6300 in my current system but I am looking to upgrade because it seems to be limiting my GPUs performance within quite a lot of my games. Fallout 4 is a big one it seems to be bottlenecking. I was wondering what would be a better upgrade path. Should I either upgrade to a 8350 or should I completely switch to something haswell based? I'm not after skylake because I don't want to upgrade my ram as well. I'm not into overclocking my CPU so that is not on the cards. Just wondering what your guys input is.

well you cant mix cpu on motherboard. I think the 8320 would be sufficient since ive heard some motherboards shorted out with the 8350. If your going intel, the I5-4690 or k version is a good cpu. Both use DDR3. all you need to do is get a 1150 LGA mobo for the 4690. Im thinking though, might and wait a little bit till Zen comes out and some new GPU (polaris and pascal). when/if they come out soon, prices of stuff should go down to be more affordable :)

2 minutes ago, ItzzMonstarr said:

It depends on your budget. I would say to go with haswell but it depends which i5/i7 you can get. Like you said a new motherboard is required which is quite expensive. The 8350 should do fine in games. 

I know nothing about AMD, but an i5 4460 is a good beginner's CPU and shouldn't bottleneck. you can get B85 chipset boards pretty cheap too that's the route I went with for my HTPC

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

My current plan if I decide to go with Intel is to actually get a Xeon of some description because I won't be overclocking and they can be had quite cheaply compared to their mainstream counter parts. I'm more just putting out some feelers to see if it would be worth going to the Xeon or just upgrading to a 8350. I understand that I will need a new motherboard for the intel but I just wanted to know if it would be worth it in the long run.