H440 PWM fan hub in cpu header vs case fan header.

invincible_rat

So my cpu cooler can't get to the fan hub on the back, even with the extention that comes with the fan hub.

My question is, would plugging the PWM fan hub in a case fan header (wich is also pwm, like the cpu header) do the same thing and provide the same speeds as my cpu header (they have the same settings in the bios)

That would let me plug my cpu in the cpu header like normal, and run every other fan on the hub, plugged into a case fan header

iMCNWBX.jpgNormal way to use the fan hub

iMCNWBX.jpgHow i would use it

I guess it would be controlled with the NZXT header but it would need separate SATA or molex power plug so the board doesn't fry

EDIT: Yes it would do the same thing

the hell? did you get a different fan controller for your H440?

the one I have is like this:

http://i.imgur.com/u6PABcb.png

there are no PWM...

anyhow I don't see a problem, if the sysfan and cpufan have the same fancurves then nothing will change,

may I be curious and ask why would you want to change the connectors?

2 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

I guess it would be controlled with the NZXT header but it would need separate SATA or molex power plug so the board doesn't fry

the hub itself is already powered by MOLEX, the top connector just gives PWM signal that is amplified and passed trough to all other headers

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

-SNIP-

the hub itself is already powered by MOLEX, the top connector just gives PWM signal that is amplified and passed trough to all other headers

I know, i corrected myself because i was thinking like he wanted to get more fans running with another fan controller

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the hell? did you get a different fan controller for your H440?

the one I have is like this:

http://i.imgur.com/u6PABcb.png

there are no PWM...

anyhow I don't see a problem, if the sysfan and cpufan have the same fancurves then nothing will change,

may I be curious and ask why would you want to change the connectors?

Thanks for the answer.

My case is the h440 second version. In the part number, it says h442 instead of h440

The v2 only had a bit of airflow tweaks and the pwm fan hub instead of the standard one.

Just now, jst998 said:

Thanks for the answer.

My case is the h440 second version. In the part number, it says h442 instead of h440

The v2 only had a bit of airflow tweaks and the pwm fan hub instead of the standard one.

I feel boned...

is it okay to feel screwed?

can I get a replacement fan controller or is the corporate giant not done fucking me over yet?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

I feel boned...

is it okay to feel screwed?

can I get a replacement fan controller or is the corporate giant not done fucking me over yet?

Why would they give you a replacement?  You bought the H440 as it was advertised...with a fan hub.  NZXT never led you to believe that it came with a PWM fan controller.  There was simply a redesign after your purchase.

Should a car manufacturer update your vehicle when they redesign simply because you bought a previous years model?  

Don't be ridiculous.

7 hours ago, PlayCrackTheSky said:

Why would they give you a replacement?  You bought the H440 as it was advertised...with a fan hub.  NZXT never led you to believe that it came with a PWM fan controller.  There was simply a redesign after your purchase.

Should a car manufacturer update your vehicle when they redesign simply because you bought a previous years model?  

Don't be ridiculous.

that's exactly what the corporate giant wants you to think

don't give into the big capitalist machine, take a stand

19 hours ago, jst998 said:

-SNIP-

To answer your question it will work by plugging the PWM input into a PWM capable chassis header but all of those other headers on the PCB are 3 pin DC voltage control only. 

18 hours ago, DXMember said:

that's exactly what the corporate giant wants you to think

don't give into the big capitalist machine, take a stand

I am the corporate giant and big capitalist that you loath.  Prototypical nonconformist... xD

Get back in the herd, little sheep.

13 hours ago, W-L said:

To answer your question it will work by plugging the PWM input into a PWM capable chassis header but all of those other headers on the PCB are 3 pin DC voltage control only. 

you are misinterpreting the clever NZXT design,

it takes a single PWM input for signal and single 12V Molex input for power,

runs both trough an Op-Amp and steps down the 12V power depending on the PWM input signal and gives out lower voltage to the eight 3-pin headers essentially converting PWM control signal into DC voltage control, so those can work with both all fans regardless of the fan being capable of PWM or not

13 minutes ago, DXMember said:

you are misinterpreting the clever NZXT design,

it takes a single PWM input for signal and single 12V Molex input for power,

runs both trough an Op-Amp and steps down the 12V power depending on the PWM input signal and gives out lower voltage to the eight 3-pin headers essentially converting PWM control signal into DC voltage control, so those can work with both all fans regardless of the fan being capable of PWM or not

Yes that is correct the unit converts a PWM based signal into an equivalent DC voltage control signal but ideally PWM fans work best solely on PWM control as they have a larger controllable range on the lower end.