M.2 odd readings

Bigheart

I have a Samsung m.2 ssd. It's running fine. Its reads and write are normal, but it's telling the system that it's constantly running at 60c, even when I'm at 7% load. The highest point on my mobo is 29, my gpu is running at 36, and my cpu is running at 19. I don't know what's going on. 

they run like a toaster xD

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

they can get fairly toasty they are even know to get hot enough to throttle. Some people slap heat sinks on them (but it voids warranty)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, gamerking said:

they run like a toaster xD

It used to read at 35-45 which is why I'm worried.

Just now, Bigheart said:

And they're are absolutely no fluctuations in temp right now, which is really wierd. 

The sensor on the motherboard doesn't necessarily mean that air is passing over the M.2 drives.  If it's something like a Samsung 950 Pro, they tend to get hot if air isn't circulating around them.  They don't require a lot of fast air, but constantly moving air.  If you have a M.2 slot that mounts the M.2 drive flat with the board, it gets even harder to cool.  Some boards like my Asus x99 Deluxe, stand the M.2 card up and out from the board which allows air to pass around it.

given the surface area it has, its not a huge suprise m.2 drives run hot lol

maybe put a heatsink on it like thekeemo said

1 minute ago, Bigheart said:

well maybe its pretty loaded now, so it have to work slightly harder

1 minute ago, Bigheart said:

And they're are absolutely no fluctuations in temp right now, which is really wierd. 

maybe the temp sensor broke `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

given the surface area it has, its not a huge suprise m.2 drives run hot lol

maybe put a heatsink on it like thekeemo said

well maybe its pretty loaded now, so it have to work slightly harder

maybe the temp sensor broke `-`

Hey. Sorry. I fixed it. Corsair link was tweaking out on me and giving me false reading. When I looked in my bios, the ssd was marked at 39, which is way more reasonable. 

7 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

I have a Samsung m.2 ssd. It's running fine. Its reads and write are normal, but it's telling the system that it's constantly running at 60c, even when I'm at 7% load. The highest point on my mobo is 29, my gpu is running at 36, and my cpu is running at 19. I don't know what's going on. 

if you do put a heat sink on it make sure it leaves no trace of the paste or adhesive since Samsung wont take a rma if they see a heat sink leftovers 

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Just now, Bigheart said:

Hey. Sorry. I fixed it. Corsair link was tweaking out on me and giving me false reading. When I looked in my bios, the ssd was marked at 39, which is way more reasonable. 

It's going to read lower in BIOS because it's doing absolutely nothing.  My 950 Pro has idles at a lower temp in Windows so you might want to accurately verify temps while it's in use.  If they get warm, they will throttle.

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

It's going to read lower in BIOS because it's doing absolutely nothing.  My 950 Pro has idles at a lower temp in Windows so you might want to accurately verify temps while it's in use.  If they get warm, they will throttle.

i just uninstalled link and reinstalled it and now its giving me 40, so i guess its okay? 

3 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

i just uninstalled link and reinstalled it and now its giving me 40, so i guess its okay? 

I'd say your well withing operating range, but just pay attention to it.

Here's an example of mine, which is my OS drive so it's definitely in use, but without any large transfers going on at the moment.

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

I'd say your well withing operating range, but just pay attention to it.

Here's an example of mine, which is my OS drive so it's definitely in use, but without any large transfers going on at the moment.

Capture.JPG

yeah, mine is my os as well, and it is running nominally now. i dont know why link was mwssing up so much, but ill keep that in mind. thanks!