Windows 10 Boot partition on HDD, while system partition on HDD.

Since my laptop broke I'm building myself a new system. My system uses a new SSD and I'm reusing my HDD from my laptop. 

I just installed a fresh copy of windows on an SSD, then copied the files I need from my HDD to my SSD, so now i can format that HDD and clear some space.

The SSD is the C drive, the HDD is the D drive.

When trying to format this HDD it wouldn't let me, it just tells me "unable to format drive."

I found out, using minitool partition Wizard Tool, that the C drive is my System drive, but my D drive is the boot drive?!?

I cannot boot with either of these drives unplugged. 

I have tried reinstalling windows from a thumbdrive, using the 'upgrade' option, this way I didn't lose all my files and programs. But that did not work.

I there any way I can fix this? Can I make my system boot on C so that I can format the D? How can I do all of this without losing my programs and stuff on my current C drive? (I can obviously lose everything on the D drive.)

Is it because the laptop dive had a windows on it, the boot and system drive are now diffferent? (The old laptop ran a 32 bit version of windows though, I'm now using a 64 bit version)

Well since your Windows install on the SSD is fresh and your HDD contains your documents/music/photos I presume, why not just reinstall Windows on your SSD with the other drive unplugged? That way it won't get confused about which drive to boot from.

Once you have your Windows up and running on your SSD, power down and plug in the HDD. When you boot, make sure the SSD is the first boot option.

Yh, well. I already moved everything to my SSD savegames and stuff, Installed all of my basic programms and games. I didn't feel like redownloading them, it was a pain in the butt. Is there really no way to move the boot thing? (whatever that may be, I don't really understand how the boot partition can be different from the system partition)