AMD in laptops?

Go to solution Solved by Joe4096,

The only experience I have had with AMD laptops is when someone didn't take care of their laptop. They should be just fine for most things though. Thermals also should be ok.

So i have been laptop shopping, and as a budget oriented college student, I am thinking refurbished (in which usually the "iffiest" part would be the HDD), while replacing it with more RAM and giving it an SSD. A lot of the budget laptops have AMD CPUs and I was wondering if anyone had experience with if these are any good. I know AMD usually does pretty well in processing but I am kinda worried about the longevity and thermal of it.  I am still looking around the internet, but there isn't a lot of content about it, probably because no one buys the damn AMD laptops haha.  Thanks

The only experience I have had with AMD laptops is when someone didn't take care of their laptop. They should be just fine for most things though. Thermals also should be ok.

Thanks a lot! Still not sure if i will get AMD or not but it is good to know it is a legitimate option!

AMD is probably not a good choice in a laptop, they cost more and preform less, they also use more power and run hotter, but that is because of the older architecture. Maybe wait till the new line of APUs come out on Laptops if you really want an AMD based laptop.

WOW thank you, I was looking at one from a Microcenter near me, same thing but 80 dollars more, thanks!

I keep telling my mom she needs to get a laptop with intel and she still hasn't. She somehow manages to break amd laptops every year or 2. The one she has now is starting to over heat.

Motherboard - Asus Z97-WS ll Processor -Intel i7-4790K ll Cooling- Custom Loop ll RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(2x8) @2400 ll Graphics Card  - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI ll PSU - Corsair AX 1200 Watts ll SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ll HDD - seagate barracuda green 2TB & Seagate 4TB ll Case - Silverstone TJ11 ll Audio - Asus Xonar Essence STX  ll OS- Win 10 PRO 64-bit ll Keyboard- CM Storm QuickfireTK Green Switchesll Mouse- Logitech G502

On 4/8/2016 at 11:11 PM, SlientNinja.cmd said:

I keep telling my mom she needs to get a laptop with intel and she still hasn't. She somehow manages to break amd laptops every year or 2. The one she has now is starting to over heat.

I don't think the CPU is what it is causing to break, what brand are you buying?

I was looking online and i heard if you have this in bloat ware to turn it off, and sort of HP coolsense, or the brand equivalent of that makes temps a lot better.  Maybe try that too?