Build Budget Help

Hey friends, so my cousin asked for my help with building a computer and so far this is what we cam up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YXD2qs However, it's a bit too pricey and we were hoping to get some help with this.

Budget: Ideally it would be great to get the price down to a sweet $800 USD

Aim: Casual gaming mostly. He doesn't need Crysis 4 on ultra high 8k 4D with an Oculus and six monitors but it would be nice to run Black Ops 3 at around medium to high with at least 30 to 40fps (something that can compete with an xbox one).

Monitors: Currently one 1080p monitor. Considering stepping down to a 720p monitor if it makes sense.

Peripherals: Will be buying Windows 10. Any other peripherals such as a mechanical keyboard can be added later

This would be an upgrade from a shared family computer to a personal gaming rig extravaganza (or something like that).

My thoughts: Like I said, we would like to reduce the price and I think the best ways to do that would be by down grading the cpu, gpu, ram, and maybe the monitor.

CPU: Would it make sense to go from the 8370 to something like an 8320? Would there be a noticeable performance drop? If so, would it be worth the price?

GPU: Is an older graphics card such as the one we currently have on the list a good way to go? Would it make sense to upgrade to something newer with only 2gb of memory rather than the 4gb? Is there a card out there that performs about the same as the one we chose but at a lower price? What kind of performance gains/losses could we expect from going with a different card?

Ram: Is 16gb necessary or does it just make sense to go with only 8gb?

Monitor: If we were to select a 720p monitor, could we expect a gaming performance gain and a significant price drop at the expense of a lower resolution?

Please let me know any and all of your thoughts as they are appreciated.

Thanks.

You're spending money on the wrong areas such as RAM and the CPU cooler. Makes more sense to go Intel with a much beefier GPU:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($66.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($56.57 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($172.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($15.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($35.00 @MicrosoftSoftwareSwap) 
Monitor: LG 23MP47HQ 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($100.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $797.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 02:22 EDT-0400

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hhHb4D
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hhHb4D/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Avexir Budget Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($56.57 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380X 4GB Video Card  ($209.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: XFX XT 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($51.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 22MC57HQ-P 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($90.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $766.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 02:32 EDT-0400

for OS,get it for $30 at kinguin/reddit windows marketplace.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

6 minutes ago, MrDobry said:

Is 16gb necessary or does it just make sense to go with only 8gb?

8gb will be enough for now

u can always add more ram if you need more in the future

If we were to select a 720p monitor, could we expect a gaming performance gain and a significant price drop at the expense of a lower resolution?

yes and yes, but you wouldnt be getting a great experience,

with this budget, 1080p gaming machine is do-able

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

20 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($66.98 @ Newegg) 

This Motherboard kind of sketches me out. Is that a reasonable feeling? Would something that cheap still be effective with the parts that I would be putting into it?

20 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($35.00 @MicrosoftSoftwareSwap) 

How in the world does this work?

14 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ Micro Center)

Is a motherboard at that price going to be reliable?

14 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

for OS,get it for $30 at kinguin/reddit windows marketplace.

HOW?

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

8gb will be enough for now

u can always add more ram if you need more in the future

yes and yes, but you wouldnt be getting a great experience,

with this budget, 1080p gaming machine is do-able

Thanks!

This Motherboard kind of sketches me out. Is that a reasonable feeling?Would something that cheap still be effective with the parts that I would be putting into it?

How in the world does this work?

No, you shouldn't be. It's a motherboard and it's pretty much the same as any other motherboard, aside from the fact it doesn't support a few features (like SLI, overclocking etc.). You'll be fine.

As for the Windows key, hop onto the MicrosoftSoftwareSwap subreddit and grab a key off the moderator S5ean for cheap. I can personally vouch for him - I have two machines running with each using a key I bought off him. Hasn't caused me any problems whatsoever.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, MrDobry said:

HOW?

no need to be screaming. you pay the guy the money using amazon gift card, paypal or credit/debit card and then he'll send you the cd-key. after that, you find an iso for the windows, burn it onto a cd drive or a usb drive and you set the motherboard to boot with that and follow the instructions.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, MrDobry said:

HOW?

here

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You guys are such babes, thanks a bunch.