Drive failure

LOST TALE

I want to identify the cause of the problem.

Hardware: the 3TB exceeds the combined rest of my hard storage capacity.

1. Is it the OS or the HDD?

2. How can I fix without data loss? (idc about cache)

Problem: My 3TB HDD ghosts me.

-Non-detection in OS correlates with BIOS not detecting it.

-This is the third time it happened. Restarting doesn't fix, I must reconnect it.

This third time:

-System file detected: RAW (previously and normally is NTFS)

-This third time, the Drive is still shown in computer (probably due to cache) even though it ghosted from the disk management.

-I discovered some files are still accessible and non-corrupted

-tried running

chkdsk L: /f /r /x

And that's how I found there was an issue with the filesystem or detection of it.

The Mass storage has no running software installed or work. It has some crucial personal documents (projects, knowledge archives and self-knowledge), some of which have recent backups.

99% of my archive data is not backed up. Only text is backed up.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

5 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

I want to identify the cause of the problem.

Hardware: the 3TB exceeds the combined rest of my hard storage capacity.

1. Is it the OS or the HDD?

2. How can I fix without data loss? (idc about cache)

Problem: My 3TB HDD ghosts me.

-Non-detection in OS correlates with BIOS not detecting it.

-This is the third time it happened. Restarting doesn't fix, I must reconnect it.

This third time:

-System file detected: RAW (previously and normally is NTFS)

-This third time, the Drive is still shown in computer (probably due to cache) even though it ghosted from the disk management.

-I discovered some files are still accessible and non-corrupted

-tried running

chkdsk L: /f /r /x

And that's how I found there was an issue with the filesystem or detection of it.

The Mass storage has no running software installed or work. It has some crucial personal documents (projects, knowledge archives and self-knowledge), some of which have recent backups.

99% of my archive data is not backed up. Only text is backed up.

Check SMART to see if it died, and if it did send it to someone for data recovery.

14 minutes ago, RAAL4 said:

Check SMART to see if it died, and if it did send it to someone for data recovery.

Where do I find SMART?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Do you care about of the data on the drive.  If so, just STOP.  STOP right now.  Turn your computer off, remove the drive, secure it in appropriate packaging, and take it to a professional for proper evaluation.

The more you run it, the more difficult a "professional" recovery will be if that's the route you decide to go.

I believe Linus has done a video or two about a certain data recovery vendor who will do a low-cost or free evaluation on hard drives for data recovery and give you a written estimate of the cost involved. 

If you can get in to the drive make image back of every thing on your drive on a backup drive you can use windows backup witch works. then go to the manufacture website of your hardrive and download there diagnostic tools.    

1 minute ago, Trevor87 said:

If you can get in to the drive make image back of every thing on your drive on a backup drive you can use windows backup witch works. then go to the manufacture website of your hardrive and download there diagnostic tools.    

If you read, I wrote that I do not have enough storage to backup this drive.

I will retain hardware manuf diag tools

1 minute ago, Trevor87 said:

^^^  only do this if you're 100% sure there's no mechanical damage whatsoever.

Just now, LOST TALE said:

How do I access it from the user interface?

On Windows 10, you'll need to download software like CrystalDiskInfo.

On Linux, the package "smartmontools" is used with the command "smartctl --all /dev/sdX".

If you don't have backup drive internal or external your shooting your self in the foot if you have data that you need to keep safe.

I will check smart with seagate tools (3TB is a seagate drive) the next time I bring the HDD back to life

I came back after a 2 hours, the HDD is back.

I will re-run both diagnostics.

edit: I will try stand-by to fix next time.