Server drive

Hish0t

Hallo,

I'm looking for a good drive that's able to run 24/7 and is relaiable. On the driver i'll be installing the OS and some random data.

Witch drive would you guys suggest. i'm looking for a 1tb meaby a 2tb drive.

Cheers!

EDIT: The server will just be a desktop pc.

• Cooler Master HAF X • Core i7 4790K • Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO • MSI GTX 1080 Asus GTX 970 Strix • Corsair RM1000 • 

• Corsair H100i GTX • Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro • Premier Pro SP900 256 GB SSD  Toshiba 2TB • 

Here's a list that WD has for their HDD Server Drives: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/enterprise/ which server drives are designed to run 24/7. I don't know much about a lot of consumer level drives but I bet any would do. Although don't get WD Green, they fuck up if you don't read/write to them 24/7 or in bursts with a huge wait time in each. WD Purple is for security systems and WD Black is for gaming. WD Blue is for normal users. So I bet your best bet is either WD Black for the amount of abuse you can throw at them or a WD Server Drive.

Brah, do you even Java?

4 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Here's a list that WD has for their HDD Server Drives: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/enterprise/ which server drives are designed to run 24/7. I don't know much about a lot of consumer level drives but I bet any would do. Although don't get WD Green, they fuck up if you don't read/write to them 24/7 or in bursts with a huge wait time in each. WD Purple is for security systems and WD Black is for gaming. WD Blue is for normal users. So I bet your best bet is either WD Black for the amount of abuse you can throw at them or a WD Server Drive.

3 minutes ago, MineblockTechTips said:

Have a look at WD drives

If you want PC drives, WD blue is for you..

NAS drives are red..

Have a look here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog

Thanks for the advice. i was looking at a WD black 1tb drive or a WD red pro 1tb and not sure witch one is better. And i'm not sure if the black drive is a good one for 24/7.

• Cooler Master HAF X • Core i7 4790K • Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO • MSI GTX 1080 Asus GTX 970 Strix • Corsair RM1000 • 

• Corsair H100i GTX • Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro • Premier Pro SP900 256 GB SSD  Toshiba 2TB • 

2 minutes ago, Hish0t said:

Thanks for the advice. i was looking at a WD black 1tb drive or a WD red pro 1tb and not sure witch one is better. And i'm not sure if the black drive is a good one for 24/7.

Is the drive going to be active for 24/7 or the computer?

If the computer than I think the WD Black will be better otherwise go with the Red.

Brah, do you even Java?

Red Pros start at 2 TB but are rated for 24/7 use if that floats your boat :P

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

15 hours ago, MineblockTechTips said:

Red Pros start at 2 TB but are rated for 24/7 use if that floats your boat :P

You'r right i made a typo i ment to say 2tb.

17 hours ago, Hish0t said:

~snip~

Hey there hish0t,

You don't really need an enterprise-level drive for 24/7 usage in a home desktop. WD Black is designed for very heavy workloads and extensive usage so I'd say it's a good option. Another thing I could suggest is putting the OS on a small SSD for better responsiveness and use a HDD as a secondary storage device which will go in a standby mode if not used after some time and thus reduce chances of failure, power consumption and heat/vibration levels. :)

If you still want a 24/7 drive I would recommend checking out WD Red which is designed for NAS/Server usage and RAID arrays. This drive should also work great for your needs. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

10 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

~snip~

Thanks Captain_WD, i've only have one question i've heard somewere that de black's warenty is only in effect when the drive i below 2400 hours a year. But i'm not able to find this anywere on their webpage.

38 minutes ago, Hish0t said:

~snip~

You are most welcome :)Here's a link to our warranty policy.

Our warranty isn't related to the working hours of the drive. I would be a bit pointless to offer a performance drive for extensive workloads if the warranty covers it only in cases when it's used below 6 hours a day. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/