Inspired by Linus' Oven video

Napalm Death

I have access to a solder re-flow machine at my workplace (as well as irons and heat guns) and I was thinking about hunting for "broken/for spares, repairs etc." video cards on eBay to try to save some money buying a GPU upgrade.

I'm a poor, lowly student and cannot afford to spend £300+ on a worthwhile upgrade to my GTX 570. Would the eBay thing be a terrible idea?

Just now, Supercian411 said:

risky

Yeah, I understand the risk. Mostly wondering if anyone's had any experience/success doing something like this in the past.

6 minutes ago, Napalm Death said:

I have access to a solder re-flow machine at my workplace (as well as irons and heat guns) and I was thinking about hunting for "broken/for spares, repairs etc." video cards on eBay to try to save some money buying a GPU upgrade.

I'm a poor, lowly student and cannot afford to spend £300+ on a worthwhile upgrade to my GTX 570. Would the eBay thing be a terrible idea?

neat- Be sure to post a picture of your destroyed card. Reflowing is a myth 9.9/10 times

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

neat- Be sure to post a picture of your destroyed card. Reflowing is a myth 9.9/10 times

Thanks for the eternal sarcasm. It's not like I've already bought anything, just trying to get a general consensus.

Linus hit a 1% chance, then?

21 minutes ago, Napalm Death said:

Thanks for the eternal sarcasm. It's not like I've already bought anything, just trying to get a general consensus.

Linus hit a 1% chance, then?

not even 100% sure he fixed anything. Sometimes heating up components can cause them to come alive for a bit longer before they die once more. like i said, in 9.9/10 times, it is most likely going to harm the card more then help.

the remaining 0.1/10 times are actual "broken solder points".