What are the problems with modern FM broadcasting

themctipers

Can someone list the problems with modern FM broadcasting? 

So far I know that most transmissions are limited to 15khz and 19khz

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 i could think of its so simple to set up a pirate radio station for your local area... not sure does this count? 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Some smartphones (ex. SGS4, 5, 6 and 7) don't have a FM Radio (they rely on Internet radios).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Legally doing it. In most areas the alottable frequencies are already taken. If you want to get one it costs a buttload of money to buy the rights to that frequency from whoever has them. Also, actually being licensed to run commercial broadcasting equipment is a bear. 

Beyond that, not many. The quality of FM broadcasts is actually quite good I think. Most improvements in the future will likely come from the receivers ability to reject interference and noise, and not on the broadcasting side.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

An FM radio signal works by shifting the frequency slightly up or down to carry an audio signal. AM works my actually changing the amplitude of the signal to carry audio. The advantage of FM is that it is immune to atmospheric nose from thunderstorms. AM has the advantage of bouncing off the ionospher so it can be heard from further away. This is more specifically related to the frequency that the two types of transmissions are used at. FM is 88MHz to 108MHz while AM is 55kHz to 160kHz. The lower frequency bounces off the ionospher better than the higher frequency.

Both AM and FM have the capability to piggyback a digital signal on top of their audio signal to allow more information to be sent but FM is typically used more.

Both bands are highly illegal to tamper with. Enthusiests are allowed to build their own receivers as long as it doesn't interfere with other important radio channels (that are usually very close to the same frequency). Building your own transmitter is highly illegal unless it goes through the FCC or what ever communications regulatory committee your country has. Breaking this law usually comes with several years of jail time.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

3 hours ago, jameshumphries47 said:

1 i could think of its so simple to set up a pirate radio station for your local area... not sure does this count? 

Yes but amature radio is legal. 

3 hours ago, Lotus said:

Bandwidth (as in data throughput)

But for music it's good quality..

3 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

Some smartphones (ex. SGS4, 5, 6 and 7) don't have a FM Radio (they rely on Internet radios).

I meant modern problems with FM radio technology. 

1 hour ago, DragonTamer1 said:

An FM radio signal works by shifting the frequency slightly up or down to carry an audio signal. AM works my actually changing the amplitude of the signal to carry audio. The advantage of FM is that it is immune to atmospheric nose from thunderstorms. AM has the advantage of bouncing off the ionospher so it can be heard from further away. This is more specifically related to the frequency that the two types of transmissions are used at. FM is 88MHz to 108MHz while AM is 55kHz to 160kHz. The lower frequency bounces off the ionospher better than the higher frequency.

Both AM and FM have the capability to piggyback a digital signal on top of their audio signal to allow more information to be sent but FM is typically used more.

Both bands are highly illegal to tamper with. Enthusiests are allowed to build their own receivers as long as it doesn't interfere with other important radio channels (that are usually very close to the same frequency). Building your own transmitter is highly illegal unless it goes through the FCC or what ever communications regulatory committee your country has. Breaking this law usually comes with several years of jail time.

I was asking for problems in modern fm transmission.. Thanks for the information I didn't know that am bounced like shortwave radio too. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 hours ago, themctipers said:

Thanks for the information I didn't know that am bounced like shortwave radio too. 

No AM is just the modulation.

Only the frequency causes the reflexion at the ionosphere.

Also FM can not be used in a single frequency network