Google Wallet Card is coming to an End

theonlyBuster

Article: http://qz.com/651903/google-wallet-is-shutting-down-its-debit-card/

Official Blog Post: https://www.google.com/wallet/card/

Well I just got the email confirming it.  Google Wallet has confirmed it will be shutting down it's physical card function as of June 30th. 

Obviously not a big surprise.  In fact, I'm surprised it took them this long to announce this.  

Just to limit confusion, you'll be able to pay via your Phone (NFC), but the physical card will be deactivated as of June 30th.  Google is directing active card members to sign up for Amex and Simple service is they want a similar service as Google Wallet Debit

Email I received about 10minutes ago:

Your Wallet Card will stop working on June 30
Hello [Name Redacted],
We want to thank you for using the Wallet Card and for any feedback you’ve shared.
After careful consideration, we’ve decided that we’ll no longer support the Wallet Card as of June 30. Moving forward, we want to focus on making it easier than ever to send and receive money with the Google Wallet app.
Here’s what this means for you:
  • You can only make purchases with your Wallet Card until June 30.
  • You won’t be able to add money to your Wallet Balance from a debit card or bank account after May 1, but money you receive from others will still be added to your balance.
  • If you have money in your Wallet Balance after May 1, you can keep it there, send it to others, or cash out anytime for free.
If you’re interested in finding a replacement for your Wallet Card, both American Express and Simple offer debit accounts with similar features, including a card. Plus, we’ve teamed up with them so that Wallet Card users will get an added bonus after signing up.
As we wind down support for the Wallet Card, we’re excited to continue enhancing Google Wallet to give you the best possible experience when paying friends and family. We’re hard at work on new features, so keep an eye out for those in the coming months.
If you have any questions, visit our FAQ.
The Google Wallet Team

I have a Google wallet card but never got around to figuring out what it was for. 

2 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

I have a Google wallet card but never got around to figuring out what it was for. 

It's a debt card that uses the balance off your wallet acct. Which can draw money from multiple sources such as your bank or credit card. Idealy this would allow you to keep your other cards somewhere safe and only carry your wallet card, which could be deactivated by your phone instantly if lost or stolen.

Lord of Helium.

6 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

It's a physical card alternative to NFC and similar type ways of paying.  Before paying with your phone really got big, I'd use the card in places where Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and Apple Pay were not available.  
And yes, the GREAT part is if you lose it, you deactivate/re-activate it right from your phone.  Personally I like it, though I'm still running into a few mom and pop places that don't yet have these advanced pay features, so the card alternative was great to have.