FT03 Mini ITX build

Intet

Hi

I am planning to build a new PC with this case:
FT03B-Mini-34View.jpg

It's gonna be a mini ITX build and my primary computer. I wanna use it primarily for gaming but also for some student work in animation. Thats why stability is definitely a big point for me.

Here are the parts I am looking at right now:

Silverstone Fortress FT03 Mini

Asus Z170I Pro Gaming s1151 Z170

Intel Core i7 6700K
R9 Fury X

Silverstone SX500-LG
Noctua NH-L9x65
Samsung SSD 950 Pro
16 Gb Ram (of whatever is reccomended by the MB)

Some old HDD (I will backup)

I'm glad for any thoughts or suggestions, especially if someone has experience with this case. I've never built a mini ITX PC.

I play primarily strategy games the likes of:

Sins of a Solar Empire, Supreme Commander

But wanna step up my PC to be able to play:
Ashes of Singularity, Warhammer Battlefleet Gothic Armada, Deserts of Kharak and maybe dip into VR later

Programs I'd like to run:

TV Paint, ZBrush, Blender, Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D

I'm still unsure if I should go with a i5 6600 and some cheaper MB solution. I'm also considering waiting for pascal and some pricedrops by AMD Graphics. Price range up to around 2000.-  but I'd like not to spend more where I don't need it. I have 2 full HD monitors. I have all peripherals.

My current computer is a MacBook but I've buit my old tower a while ago. I wanna be able to put my new PC on my desk.

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately I have no constructive feedback here, I just wanted to say that you have chosen a very unique case. I don't think I have ever even seen this case, let alone looked in to it.

Have you considered using the AsRock 2011v3 itx board with a Xeon proc instead? 

@Evanair Indeed I have. But I think that would be a little bit of a overkill for my use scenario. I'd rather put the money in the GPU.

Or is there much benefit I don't know of yet?

Well, going from a quad core HT 6700k to a 6-core HT Xeon would be beneficial for your production work, also it enables ECC so you're able to add more ram into the 2 slots of the ITX board if you go with ECC memory.  Both CPU's offer 40 lane PCIe, so that's the same, and the 6700k is overclockable and a higher MHz rating. 

You're also going to be using OpenCL instead of CUDA, and I have no experience with the programs listed for support or performance of OpenCL in them.  That might be something you want to look into as well as the compatibility for GPU acceleration in non-pro series cards with the applications, some might require FirePro or Quadro level cards to enable them. 

You had mentioned the need for design over gaming, so that's the aspect I'm coming from.

As for ITX, you might check out this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163288&cm_re=raven-_-11-163-288-_-Product

It is compatible with the Corsair H5 series watercooler for ITX, so if you go with the 6700k, you'd have more room for OC thermals.  This case would not support the Fury X (no room for watercooling the GPU) so it's a trade off for CPU WC vs GPU.  You are building a more CPU intensive system though, especially with the 6700k's heat compared to that of a Xeon.

Unless there's something completely new in terms of design I'm most certainly gonna stand with this case.
About the CPU, I'm still not convinced I need that kind of raw power. ECC ram would be a nice to have in terms of stability but from what I read it's not really that relevant for non scientific use. I'm probably gonna choose some nice crucial or kingston ram, nothing fancy overclocked and it'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

My current build uses this case so I can give you some tips. The actual case is great; feels very solid and doesn't really have wasted space.

I highly reccomend the Corsair H60 for water cooling. I use a GTX 760 because at the time, that was the most powerful card that would actually fit in the case (I think its limited to about 10" without modifying the case.) other than a GTX 690 which was too expensive.

That power supply is fantastic. They had some issues with it when it first came out but they have addressed them and the thing works wonders. If you don't plan on modifying the cables for sleeving or just shortening them to what you need I'd suggest getting the non-modular one as it will give you a bit more room.