UPSs and high watt PSU

Blackouts and Power out surges are unpredictable, so its a must to buys a UPS, but as gamers use high wattage PSUs finding the right UPS is tricky, also is it nessasary to use a UPS?

2 minutes ago, RawenX said:

Blackouts and Power out surges are unpredictable, so its a must to buys a UPS, but as gamers use high wattage PSUs finding the right UPS is tricky, also is it nessasary to use a UPS?

unless you have critical systems running such as servers or hospital equipment, a UPS isn't necessary, just use a power strip with power surge protection. It isn't a MUST buy item, it just gives you the luxury to save and shut down your computer. Personally I just use a surge protector.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Sizing one is not too hard. My personal system has a 1000W PSU but I could easily get away with a 650W UPS. This is because my system doesn't come close to drawing the amount of power my PSU can provide. Though unless you live in an area where blackouts or brownouts are common then a really good surge protector should be good enough.

2 minutes ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

unless you have critical systems running such as servers or hospital equipment, a UPS isn't necessary, just use a power strip with power surge protection. It isn't a MUST buy item, it just gives you the luxury to save and shut down your computer. Personally I just use a surge protector.

But when there are unexpected power downs of the system it could damage the HDD, like if they were in the middle of a write cycle

4 minutes ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

Surge protectors don't protect from a brownout though.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Surge protectors don't protect from a brownout though.

touche. 

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

6 minutes ago, ThreePhaseLoad said:

Sizing one is not too hard. My personal system has a 1000W PSU but I could easily get away with a 650W UPS. This is because my system doesn't come close to drawing the amount of power my PSU can provide. Though unless you live in an area where blackouts or brownouts are common then a really good surge protector should be good enough.

What happens if your power supply does draws 1000w from the UPS?

1 minute ago, RawenX said:

Well then you need a ups capable of providing those 1000VA's. VA == W

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

4 minutes ago, RawenX said:

But when there are unexpected power downs of the system it could damage the HDD, like if they were in the middle of a write cycle

thank god for system repair then. You obviously feel like you need a UPS if so take your PSU's wattage and times it by 1.6 and that the Volts Amperage you should use for your UPS. (at least that's what my computers professor says)

Spoiler

Unless your running like a NAS or some kinda of server storing critical data any UPS should be fine. 

5 minutes ago, RawenX said:

If my system was capable of pulling that much power I would need to size according to the power requirements of the hardware. PSU will not draw more than the other hardware needs.

Example of LTT PSU power draw

6 hours ago, RawenX said:

If you overload a UPS on battery backup it will trigger an over current protection usually giving it a constant tone from the unit, what are the specs of your system and things your planning on hooking up to it we can get a better idea of what you need for your use case.