Wifi/Internet Help

I am currently using my ixfinity modem which is attached with a cable ( The round screw in one), and i need to upgrade it because it is old and becoming slow. So i need help on what i should buy the main thing is the difference between modems and wireless routers. I need a modem to connect to the cable but i dont know what ones support wireless and which ones dont. Or if they all do and i dont need a router. Any information would be helpful Thanks. 

Just to make this clear in my explanation, (in networking)

a modem is a device which converts one type of signal to another (analog to digital, adsl to ethernet).

a router, routes traffic using NAT on a subnet.

and an access point "handles" wifi. (ap)

(switch is a device for expanding wired connections, and is smart (has a brain) )

There is no such this as a wifi-router but you do get combo devices like router and ap or router, ap and modem.

Here are your options:

Modem, router, ap combo unit.

Modem connected to a router, ap combo unit.

Modem, router combo unit connected to an ap.

or

Modem connected to a router connected to an ap.

I have missing out switch in here as it depends what router you get. A router may have more than 1 LAN port, meaning it has an inbuilt switch but if it does not have as many as you need you will need to get a switch.

If you tell us with set up you think will do you them best, we can probably find you the best solution.

and what is you budget? that is important so we can suggest stuff.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?