This idle temp seem normal?

So know the most important temp is load temps but I'm fairly certain those are good. 75-80c 80c being spikes when 100% load. I got a i5 4690k cooled with a h110i and it's at 4.60hz  (constant even at idle it's at 4.6ghz) and the idle temp is around 38-42c. Does this sound right?

Seems fine, depending on your ambient temps.  Don't set your PC to Maximum Performance in Power Options, otherwise your CPU will never downclock and waste power and generate more heat.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

seems fine to me

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

Cool thanks, I'll have to check out the power options as I can't remember if I ever changed that to performance mode or not. I can however tell you that the current overclock was set in the BIOS with the Asus EZ tuning wizard. It set me to 4.6ghz at 1.28v

spikes over 85 is when you should start to sweat 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

A little high Tbh, If you can reduce your voltage anymore and be stable, thats your best bet.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

1 minute ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

A little high Tbh, If you can reduce your voltage anymore and be stable, thats your best bet.

Think part of the high idle temp for me is the fact I run a constant 4.6ghz. Going to check when I get home the power options in Windows to see if I'm in max performance mode or not but if I'm not could there be a setting in the BIOS that Asus EZ tune activated or deactivated that would cause my cpu not to downclock at idle?

3 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

Think part of the high idle temp for me is the fact I run a constant 4.6ghz. Going to check when I get home the power options in Windows to see if I'm in max performance mode or not but if I'm not could there be a setting in the BIOS that Asus EZ tune activated or deactivated that would cause my cpu not to downclock at idle?

Probably not. BTW, Never use EZ tune, NEVER. it makes your voltage way too high in most cases, and could be causing those temps. Whats your voltage at idle?

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

1.28v at 4.6ghz idle. I used the ez tune cause I was having some issues with keeping my manual oc stable and the load temps with ez tune stay somewhat in check and it stays stable.

Yours seems fine, don't use EZ Tune its terrible, it uses way too much voltage....

Haswell is a bitch to OC sometimes, the key i find is the CPU ring voltage and frequency....I set mine at 1.200 static and i keep the cache frequency within 300mhz of the core (4.3Ghz), i did this in Bios not easytune. 

Key voltages CPU Vcore 1.24. CPU Ring 1.200, VRIN 1.900.

Loadline set to extreme

I run mine at 1.24 @4.6ghz............i idle between 30-35C, noiseblocker Eloop fans running a 720rmp

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

14 minutes ago, super_skank said:

Yours seems fine, don't use EZ Tune its terrible, it uses way too much voltage....

Haswell is a bitch to OC sometimes, the key i find is the CPU ring voltage and frequency....I set mine at 1.200 static and i keep the cache frequency within 300mhz of the core (4.3Ghz), i did this in Bios not easytune. 

Key voltages CPU Vcore 1.24. CPU Ring 1.200, VRIN 1.900.

Loadline set to extreme

I run mine at 1.24 @4.6ghz............i idle between 30-35C, noiseblocker Eloop fans running a 720rmp

Yea I want to try to tackle manually ocing it again soon, just need the free time. 

Like to throw a little update to my situation. I got home from work and checked out my power settings, I was in fact set to max performance mode for power settings. I changed it to balanced and now my cpu and voltage will change and my idle temps are around 30-35c. Still in the future I would like to take another shot at manual ocing this chip when I have the free time.