Nvidia or AMD?

JacobKS

I'm about to get a new rig and its really hard for me to choose which GPU should I pick is it Nvidia or AMD. I had a Sapphire AMD R9 270X Vapor-X before and after using it in about 1yr and 2months, the card just died I cant return it  in our retailer where I bought this card coz the warranty already expired, the warranty is only 1yr and I used the card for 1yr and 2months. That's why I said to myself my next card shall be an Nvidia, coz AMD's suckss, AMD's trash quality, etc. or the problem is on the manufacturer which is Sapphire, I wanna know who has a Sapphire brand of card here and is it still alive and how long have u been using it?

I'm choosing between MSI AMD R9 390 Gaming 8GB vs EVGA GTX 970 SSC, I;ve seen tons of reviews about this two cards and 390 always wins. I want to choose the GTX 970 even though 390 is much faster and better for performance per dollar, and to fulfill my word to not choose an AMD card ever again. I want to choose 390 because is much cheaper and much efficient and most of all its perfect for my plan, because in 2017 I want to purchase another card which is 390 would be better on Crossfire rather than 970 SLI coz 390 has a freaking 8GB of Vram. But I'm afraid that this 390 would't last long too.

Gaming GPU is really expensive I just don't want to feel to lose an expensive card again, I just want a card that will last a long. And can you guys give me a tips for keeping a card for over years? And this rig will be a Gaming only I don't like rendering or editing stuffs, I'll just use this for Gaming and a little bit of programming, which is in programming u don't need a high powered PC. 

funny since sapphire only deals with AMD and their cooling solutions are usually the best. I had sapphire cards before no problems to speak of. and you would be better of waiting or upgrading to a single polaris/pascal GPU when they come out because of the new process node and maybe higher capacity HBM. 

Also you do know about the 970 .5gb of ram running slower and that SLI/CF doesnt work well in every game? 

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

What country you in, and from where do you intend to buy from?

I'm from Philippines and I'll buy my rig locally again.

2 minutes ago, LukaH said:

funny since sapphire only deals with AMD and their cooling solutions are usually the best. I had sapphire cards before no problems to speak of. and you would be better of waiting or upgrading to a single polaris/pascal GPU when they come out because of the new process node and maybe higher capacity HBM. 

Also you do know about the 970 .5gb of ram running slower and that SLI/CF doesnt work well in every game? 

Yes, I'm aware that's why there's a features that u can disable SLI/CF on a certain App.

Go for the 390. One bad experience hardly makes a whole brand bad. Every now and again there is a bad sample, you just got unlucky. It could also have been killed by a crappy PSU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Go for the 390. One bad experience hardly makes a whole brand bad. Every now and again there is a bad sample, you just got unlucky. It could also have been killed by a crappy PSU

So, cheap PSU can break my GPU? I'm using a Crown Evolve 700w PSU on my GPU.

1 minute ago, JacobKS said:

So, cheap PSU can break my GPU? I'm using a Crown Evolve 700w PSU on my GPU.

That is the definition of a "cheap no-name PSU" - it can supply unstable power, wear out a GPU's VRMs and send random power surges to the card which in turn may damage it slowly and kill it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

If a 390 is cheaper than 970 there, get a 390

Get one not made by Sapphire if it makes you any more comfortable

People have had worse receiving their items dead on arrival. It happens regardless of GPU vendor or manufacturer.

My Sapphire 7950 from over 5 years ago is still alive... albeit in a box since I upgraded to a 290X

Good for you, your Sapphire last a long.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

That is the definition of a "cheap no-name PSU" - it can supply unstable power, wear out a GPU's VRMs and send random power surges to the card which in turn may damage it slowly and kill it.

Thanks for the tips really appreciated. 

Just now, don_svetlio said:

That is the definition of a "cheap no-name PSU" - it can supply unstable power, wear out a GPU's VRMs and send random power surges to the card which in turn damage it slowly and kill it.

This. 

Even a mediocre PSU like a Corsair CX430 would have been a far safer bet for the card. Sure it's not the best but it's stable.

To OP, make sure you get a new PSU alongside the GPU. As for what GPU, I'd say it's entirely dependent on the games you play. Check out my 970 vs. 390 thread in my signature.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Thanks for the tips really appreciated. 

Do get a good PSU such as the SeaSonic S12G (or G-series if you want modularity).

I'll be picking the EVGA 850W GOLD, reason for this high watts PSU is for my plan for adding another card in the future.

I'll be picking the EVGA 850W GOLD, reason for this high watts PSU is for my plan for adding another card in the future.

Okay BUT

EVGA G1 - bad
EVGA G2 - good
EVGA GS - good
EVGA GQ - good

Be careful which one you are looking at - all of them are gold rated

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Okay BUT

EVGA G1 - bad
EVGA G2 - good
EVGA GS - good
EVGA GQ - good

I believe the G1 only goes up to 750 watts.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Okay BUT

EVGA G1 - bad
EVGA G2 - good
EVGA GS - good
EVGA GQ - good

the one on my list is that G2.

Not really advised. Crossfire isn't exactly the best with a handful of games either not utilising it well or not at all, and it can bring the displeasure of microstuttering. Not to mention the added heat and power consumption. Your best bet is to sell the card once you need an upgrade and get a much stronger single GPU from Polaris/Pascal.

Just avoid EVGA's NEX series and go for their GQ/G2 series instead. 650W should be more than enough.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I believe the G1 only goes up to 750 watts.

Possible. Haven't checked that

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not really advised. Crossfire isn't exactly the best with a handful of games either not utilising it well or not at all, and it can bring the displeasure of microstuttering. Not to mention the added heat and power consumption. Your best bet is to sell the card once you need an upgrade and get a much stronger single GPU from Polaris/Pascal.

Just avoid EVGA's NEX series and go for their GQ/G2 series instead. 650W should be more than enough.

Depends on the game and SLI isn't really better.

Depends on the game and SLI isn't really better.

Yes, SLI does bring the same problems. While there are quite a few games that utilise Crossfire/SLI properly, it'd be the better choice to avoid the issues with the ones that don't.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Hahahaa okay guys enough with the PSU thing. @don_svetlio @HKZeroFive @Dan Castellaneta

The G2 are solid friend. Hope there are no further issues. As for your dead card, my money is on the PSU - almost killed my own with a crappy one